CY7C65211 GPIOs do not work

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
karac_3142546
Level 2
Level 2
First like given

Hi,

I cannot get the GPIOs working on my CY7C65211. What I have is:
-a working device configured as I2C + PC side software

-GPIO 11 appearing as "unused" in the Configuration Tool

-GPIO 11 alternatively configured as Driven 0/Driven1/Tristate - no change

-Briefly tried other GPIO ports too

My code line:

cyret = CySetGpioValue(cyhandle, 11, 1);

always returns CY_ERROR_REQUEST_FAILED. 'cyhandle' is valid, e.g.

CySetI2Config() accepts it.

Is there some GPIO-specific initialisation I need to run?

Should GPIOs be usable when the device is in I2C mode?

Is there any example source code that drive GPIO?

I have thus far only tested on Linux with the latest CyUSB SDK (Feb. 6, 2016), Ubuntu 16.04.

thanks,

kalle

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

When you set CPIOx to Drive high in serial configuration utility, the GPIOx will output HIGH afer reset.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
karac_3142546
Level 2
Level 2
First like given

I found an GPIO example hidden in the Windows SDK package.

I tried to compile this, it wouldn't - turns out the example expects

"CY_DEVICE_SERIAL_BLOCK  deviceBlock;" to be part of "CY_DEVICE_INFO",

which is restricted with "#ifdef WIN32".

Porting away these compile-time issues, the program still fails in CyOpen().

So my remaining questions now are:

-Should GPIOs work with a device configured as I2C?
-Should GPIOs work with non-windows hosts?

thanks,

kalle

p.s. I'd post my ported gpio.cpp, but Cypress' original example is "CONFIDENTIAL"

0 Likes

Doh - I forgot "CyGetDeviceInfoVidPid()" is broken on Linux.

Now working around that, I'm seeing the same failure to write GPIOs with the (now heavily modified) Cypress example code

as with my own.
I even tried swapping my device for the CYUSB234 devkit, in UART mode. No change.

So it seems GPIOs can be toggled only via Windows hosts. I hope Cypress can confirm (or better yet, disprove) this.

kalle

0 Likes

Hello Kalle Raiskila,

- The GPIOs would work even if the device is configured for I2C. You could test this with the example application code that comes with the USB Serial SDK http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/usb-serial-software-development-kit​. Also, ensure that the GPIOs are configured in the USB-Serial Configuration Utility before using them in the application.

- The API library can be used with Windows/Linux/Mac-OS.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,

thank you for confirming the I2C & platform issue. So if it should work, I have an error somewhere.

I double checked - the GPIO I tried with was configured "Tristate" in the Configuration Utility's 'GPIO' section.

Now would you have examples that are known to work with GPIO on Linux? I could not find any GPIO examples in the Linux or Mac SDKs. The one in the Windows SDK didn't even compile out of the box. I'm afraid I messed it up when getting it running, since it don't work now.

The error I'm getting from libusb is a LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE, form the  libusb_control_transfer() in CySetGpioValue(),

which libusb  documents as "the control request was not supported by the device"

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

thanks,

kalle

0 Likes

I managed to get the 'gpio' example compiled under Windows. It fails similarly 'CySetGpioValue()' returns CY_ERROR_REQUEST_FAILED. The example code is unmodified, GPIO_10 is configured as 'Tristsate', device is a CYUSBS234 DVK Board.

I had to do something Visual Studio named "Retarget solution", to Windows SDK 10. Does this break the example code?

Any suggestions welcome.

kalle

0 Likes

Hello Kalle Raiskila,

- Please configure the GPIO to HIGH/LOW in the USB-Serial Configuration Utility and check with the same host application.

- Retargeting to Windows SDK 10 does not harm the code.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi,

thanks, this got the example working, both on Linux and Windows.
Seems I never tried with Drive 1 / Drive 0 with the CYUSBS234, and the Cypress example, and I have some bug in my own software/board.

The datasheet does has a description of "DRIVE 1 Output static 1", which confused me.

Seems it is not 'static' but  more of a 'reset value'?  But why doesn't Tristating the output work?
Or does that mean it is high-Z-only?

EDIT: seems the API can only drive the GPIO to high or low, not to high-Z. At least not without flashing a new configuration set, which then seem to require a power cycle. So what I was trying to achieve is impossible with this chip.

0 Likes

Hi,

When you set CPIOx to Drive high in serial configuration utility, the GPIOx will output HIGH afer reset.

0 Likes