Updating the firmware over the CC lines

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I implement a firmware update over the CC lines?

Do we HAVE to use the EZ-PD config utility?

I am looking to be able to do in-field firmware updates using a phone and a cable.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Richard,

1. Some applications support CC bootloader directly. (It means the CCGx device can be programmed via Type-C port with CC). For example, all of power adapter application can support CC bootloader.

2. You could use Cypress kit CY4501. CY4532 to program the device which is supporting CC bootloader. Cypress have already implement it on firmware end. Of course, you also need Ez-PD configuration Utility.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Richard,

1. Some applications support CC bootloader directly. (It means the CCGx device can be programmed via Type-C port with CC). For example, all of power adapter application can support CC bootloader.

2. You could use Cypress kit CY4501. CY4532 to program the device which is supporting CC bootloader. Cypress have already implement it on firmware end. Of course, you also need Ez-PD configuration Utility.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, but what about my last statement.

If I deploy a device to the field, can I update it with a phone and a type-c cable?

0 Likes

Hi Richard,

If the phone have install Ez-PD configuration Utility or you have a customize Apps for CC BootLoader have installed on the phone and the Power delivery controller on the Phone's Type-C port can support CC bootloader (Refer CY4532 base board CCG4's firmware), It can achieve it. So far, Ez-PD configuration Utility only Windows version.

Best Regards,

Lisa