FR60 I-Cache issues ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
zzz_3221081
Level 5
Level 5
25 solutions authored 100 sign-ins 10 likes received

I'm having a question about the FR60 MCU, inherited from Fujitsu.

Specifically, I am dealing with a part of the MB91460 series.

When enabling the I-Cache, the application supposedly loses messages on the CAN bus.

According to the datasheet (HW-Manual), only external memory (i.e. on the external bus) can be cached, so I preclude effects on peripheral registers at this point.

Is there any issues with this family's I-Cache known ?

A search for concerning errata yielded no results.

And, to add a follow-up question:

The document" MB91460 Series User’s Manual", Version 1.10, 2007-03-09 (Fujitsu document), section 12, "Instruction Cache", states there is an cache for external memory. Section 12.4, "Cacheable areas in the instruction cache" says: "The instruction cache can cache data only in external bus space."

The problem is:

This document/section also describes configuration registers (ISIZE at 0x000003C7, ICHCR at 0x000003E7), which do not show up in the datasheet, neither Fujitsu's last version, nor the latest Cypress version. These peripheral register address range is marked as reserved there (0x000394..0x0003EC). And to add to the confusion, the configurable sizes for _this_ cache (1k, 2k, 4k, off) are different from those of the internal Flash cache (off, 4k, 8k, 16k).

Can somebody shed some light on this issue ?

Update: using dhe Accemic MDE 2006 debugger, the ICHCR and ISIZE registers show up in the IO space at the proper addresses, but contain 0xFF and cannot be changed.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
zzz_3221081
Level 5
Level 5

The document" MB91460 Series User’s Manual", Version 1.10, 2007-03-09 (Fujitsu document), section 12, "Instruction Cache", states there is an cache for external memory. Section 12.4, "Cacheable areas in the instruction cache" says: "The instruction cache can cache data only in external bus space."

At least this issue is cleared with the latest version of hardware manual.

There is no cache for external memory implemented for the 467D variant. The old version was not clear about that.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
zzz_3221081
Level 5
Level 5

At least this issue is cleared with the latest version of hardware manual.

There is no cache for external memory implemented for the 467D variant. The old version was not clear about that.

0 Likes

Hmmmm, perhaps there is no issue known ...

And I cannot reproduce the issue either. I don't notice any negative side effects with enabled caches.

But to add still another follow-up:

Has anyone a description of the full chip designation for the MB91F46x ?

Those full designations use to encode temperature class, casing, manufacturing place and time, and, most importantly, chip revision.

To give two examples of actual chips:

MB91F467DA

0722         Z03

GS             E2

and 2.

MB91F467DB

1142         Z58

GS             E2

What is the difference between both chips ?

I checked both the last Fujitsu documentation (still named "preliminary") and the latest Cypress datasheets, but did not find anything in this regard.

0 Likes

Somebody supposedly moved this question to the "MCU->Auto MCU" section, not sure how that seems more appropriate ...

However, I'm in contact with a Cypress representative directly regarding this issue, and currently wait for a full errata list.

0 Likes