9 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2018 7:06 AM by Laird(LSR) Support Engineer

4343W Cannot set Country Code

mwen_2832796

Hello,

im using the 4343W on a Laird Sterling-LWB for WICED Carrier Board with the STM32F411 Discovery Board.

Link: Sterling-LWB Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Module

And im using the WICED IDE v6.1.

The Problem is that it doesnt work.

The used apps are "snip.apsta" and "snip.scan", apsta has more UART debugoutputs therefore i post it here:

Starting WICED vWiced_006.001.000.0085

Platform LSRSTERLING_00950 initialised

Started ThreadX v5.8

Initialising NetX v5.10_sp3

Creating Packet pools

WWD SDIO interface initializing with DE/0 Could not set Country code WWD SDIO interface initialization FAILED: result 2002

0000 00:00:00.000 wiced logging system is initialized

Joining : nothinghere

1986: Event (interface, type, status, reason): WWD_STA_INTERFACE Unknown WLC_E_STATUS_SUCCESS WLC_E_REASON_INITIAL_ASSOC

wwd_sdpcm_send_ioctl(WLC_DISASSOC) failed:2011

wwd_wifi_join: not ready to transceive (err 1006); left network Failed join (err 1006) Failed to join : nothinghere

wwd_wifi_join: not ready to transceive (err 1006); left network Failed join (err 1006) Failed to join : nothinghere

0001 00:00:21.230 Pinging 0.0.0.0 3 times every 1000ms with a 900ms timeout.

23201: Event (interface, type, status, reason): WWD_AP_INTERFACE Unknown WLC_E_STATUS_SUCCESS WLC_E_REASON_INITIAL_ASSOC

Error: wwd_wifi_start_ap failed

0002 00:00:21.273 Failed to bring up the softAP interface

It cannot set the countrycode and i think the errors after that arise from the countrycode error.

The WIFI Firmware is downloaded to the flash (download_apps in the Buildstring) and the Logicanalyzer shows that this Fimware is send to the WIFI Chip.

Setting the Countrycode to the United States also fails.

The Resultcode 2002 means "WWD_WLAN_BADARG".

In the Sourcecode I had read, that setting the Countrycode is the first time there the WIFI chip is required to respond.

It seems that this is not the problem, because the Logicanalyzer shows that the Chip is responding.

On the Analayzer I can see that the Command is send to the WIFI Chip and the Chip is requesting an Interrupt by pulling the DAT1 Pin LOW.

After that the STM32 reads the Response.

Does anyone know thats going wrong?

I really appreciate your help.

Greetings

Martin

• 1. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code
          MichaelF_56

Moving to Laird partner forum and adding RyEr_1709311, macac_2160541, user_3165066

jomac_2149056

• 2. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code
            Laird(LSR) Support Engineer

Our Engineering team has this for review and response.  We will post their feedback as soon as we have it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code
              mwen_2832796

Hello,

I have tested something on my end here:

I used some older IDE Versions and it works with v5.0.0.33, but it doesn't work with v5.2.1.2 and newer.

Now we need to know, that's the difference?

Maybe it is the updated WIFI FW Version because of the KRACK Patch: WICED Studio 5.2.1 has been released (backport to address KRACK)

Platform LSRSTERLING_00950 initialised

Started ThreadX v5.6

Initialising NetX v5.5_sp1

Creating Packet pools

WLAN MAC Address : 00:25:CA:xx:xx:xx

WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Apr 27 2017 03:30:42 version 7.45.98.18

(r664830) FWID 01-cb1becb6

WLAN CLM         : API: 12.2 Data: 7.11.15 Compiler: 1.24.2 ClmImport:

1. 1.24.1 Creation: 2014-05-26 10:53:55 Inc Data: 9.10.39 Inc Compiler:
              2. 1.29.4 Inc ClmImport: 1.36.3 Creation: 2017-04-27 03:00:26

Successfully joined : nothinghere

Obtaining IPv4 address via DHCP

DHCP CLIENT hostname WICED IP

• 4. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code
                ShawnA_01

I suspect you're getting bitten by the downloadable CLM Blob feature that first deployed in SDK 5.2

Check the "Infrastructure" Section of the SDK Release Notes (I think it's section 5.3).... and/or query the Forum for other postings on "downloadable clm blob" implementation. 

• 5. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code
                  GrGa_2135586

Hello,

Cypress has responded below with a potential solution as posted above. Please reply if further explanation is needed about the "blob" CLM table. This is a recent and more flexible method of implementing a power table for the module and differs from previous methods.

Best Regards,

Laird Support

• 6. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code

We are working through the QA process for our latest software release that will support the "blob" implementation.  We would expect to have "blob" files available within the next month that will support our existing certifications (FCC, ETSI, GITEKI, etc).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code
                      mwen_2832796

Hello,

i followed the hint from Shawn and found out that the CLM BLOB is another file in \resources\firmware\4343W that needs to be saved in the external flash Filesystem and has to be downloaded to the WIFI Chip by the WWD.

This seems to be automated in the buildsystem and is controlled by some build/make variables.

Therefore i checked the differences between

WICED-Studio-6.1_SDK\43xxx_Wi-Fi\platforms\BCM94343WWCD1\BCM94343WWCD1.mk

and

WICED-Studio-5.0_SDK\43xxx_Wi-Fi\platforms\BCM94343WWCD1\BCM94343WWCD1.mk

There i saw that this:

INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES = $(ALL_RESOURCES)

# Set the WIFI firmware in multi application file system to point to firmware

ifeq ($(NO_WIFI_FIRMWARE),)

MULTI_APP_WIFI_FIRMWARE   := resources/firmware/$(WLAN_CHIP)/$(WLAN_CHIP)$(WLAN_CHIP_REVISION)$(WLAN_CHIP_BIN_TYPE).bin

endif

ifeq ($(MULTI_APP_WIFI_FIRMWARE),)

ifeq ($(BUS),SDIO)

GLOBAL_DEFINES          += WWD_DIRECT_RESOURCES

endif

else

# Setting some internal build parameters

WIFI_FIRMWARE           := $(MULTI_APP_WIFI_FIRMWARE)

WIFI_FIRMWARE_LOCATION     := WIFI_FIRMWARE_IN_MULTI_APP

GLOBAL_DEFINES          += WIFI_FIRMWARE_IN_MULTI_APP

endif

is replaced by:

# WIFI_FIRMWARE and WIFI_FIRMWARE_CLM_BLOB are now included into resources

# RESOURCES_LOCATION default to RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS. But can be optionally config to RESOURCES_IN_DIRECT_RESOURCES

# WARNING: Config RESOURCES_LOCATION to RESOURCES_IN_DIRECT_RESOURCES will build firmware and blob to into main application

# and may cause internal flash to overflow

RESOURCES_LOCATION ?= RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS

ifeq ($(RESOURCES_LOCATION), RESOURCES_IN_DIRECT_RESOURCES)

INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES = $(ALL_RESOURCES)

GLOBAL_DEFINES += WWD_DIRECT_RESOURCES

endif

aahaaa! it says CLM BLOB!

Now i changed theese parts in the platforms\LSRSTERLING_00950\LSRSTERLING_00950.mk file.

Aaaand a different Error: "Timeout while waiting for high throughput clock"

The Sourcefile (wwd_bus_protocol.c) says : "If your system times out here, it means that the WLAN firmware is not booting."

Okay, something more needs to be fixed (yes I used download_apps in the buildstring).

Long talk short answer: I will wait for Lairds new platform package.

• 8. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code
                        mwen_2832796

Found it!

There wa a missing part described in Release Notes: WICED Studio 6.0.0  section 5.3 Infrastructure.

1. Note: To use the WICEDFS on external serial flash, USES_RESOURCE_FILESYSTEM should be defined in “platform_config.h” of your platform as “#define USES_RESOURCE_FILESYSTEM”.

Added it and it works now.

snip.apsta can connect to my Hotspot and can ping.

On my laptop I can see the wiced soft ap.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: 4343W Cannot set Country Code

Congratulations it is good to hear of your success!  We will post when the packages are available.