PSoC 4 Analog and Bootloader Question

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I plan on using PSoC 4200 micro in my project. I have a few questions as I have never used any PSoC or cypress micro before.

1) What is the  AI input impedance or leakage current of PSoC 4200 micro? Will it be ok to measure voltage signal (0-18V) using a voltage divider without a buffer. I can't find AI input impedance or leakage current in the datasheet to size up divider resistors. My circuit is supposed to run on 5V supply and 4.096 analog VREF.

2) Does PSoC 4200 have built in boot loader? I was looking at CYC8KIT-0049 board. It has a USB-UART converter connected to Target's UART. I am not sure if the  board is programmed with boot loader in the factory or if the boot loader is built in.

3) Is hitachi LCD driver software based or is it done all in hardware?

Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies
DaKo_463136
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

Hello,

I don't know all the answers, but here are some:

1) This probably won't fully answer your question, but have a look at this application note, it even contains an Excel power estimator: AN86233 - PSoC® 4 and PSoC Analog Coprocessor Low-Power Modes and Power Reduction Techniques

2) Yes, it has a preprogrammed bootloader. I use this kit every day and love it. The bootloader takes about 5 kB from the 32 kB in the chip.

BTW another kit starting at ca $10 feature a KitProg/KitProg2 programmer and it is possible to use it also with other chips.

CY8CKIT-043 PSoC® 4 M-Series Prototyping Kit

If you buy both, it might solve any programming / debugging issues with very low budget. (Otherwise the recommended programmer is here: CY8CKIT-002 PSoC® MiniProg3 Program and Debug Kit )

3) If you mean the HD44780 / compatible, it is SW based. Here is a snippet from the initialization:

pastedImage_4.png

David

DaKo_463136
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 10 likes given 5 likes given

Also, if you plan starting with this kit, check out these videos, they will give you an idea of how the kit is programmed:

http://www.cypress.com/search/all/CY8CKIT-049%20?f%5B0%5D=meta_type%3Avideos

Here is how to create a program from scratch: PSoC Creator 101: CY8CKIT-049 Prototyping Kit New Bootloadable

Also, there is a nice PSoC 101 series (ca 15 videos), starting with this video:

http://www.cypress.com/video-library/PSoC-Software/psoc-101-introduction-psoc-101/387726

It is targeted at a different kit, but I successfully followed all the examples with the CY8CKIT-049.

I hope this will get you a clear picture of what is the programming like and about the capabilities of this kit.

David

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

I got the CY8CKIT-059 and CY8CKIT-049.