1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2017 6:05 PM by onedashtwoeightone_1448511

SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

onedashtwoeightone_1448511

Hi Bob,

I am using the CYC8KIT-049 (42xx) plugged into my own board, which has three SPI devices sharing the same SCB SPI Master. The one at SS0 is a LED matrix which speaks Motorola with 16 bit data. At SS1 and SS2 are two Microchip CAP1128 capsense button controllers, which also speak Motorola, but with 8-bit data. SCB is initialized as Unconfigured. My code works with the LED matrix and the CAP1128 at SS1, and I have identical code to operate that at SS2. I also have a UART that spits debug info over the USB serial, showing button activity. My problem is that the PSOC will not operate the SS2 pin, it just sits high. I used a logic analyzer to catch this culprit, and to ensure that it wasn't interference on my board, I unplugged the 049 board and still no waveform on SS2. My code is attached. I've commented out the calls to interact with the LED matrix and the working CAP1128, to simplify. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2
          user_1377889

Can't see any reason. did you check the pin for working correctly?

Bob

• 2. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

As mentioned, I did yank the 049 board and verified no signal. I guess it could be a dead pin, so I'll fire up a different board and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

• 3. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

Hi Bob,

So I did swap to a different 049 board and got the same behavior. I went all over it again with the logic analyzer and saw good transmissions for ss0 and ss1, but confirmed no ss2 waveform. To take it to the next level I decided to eliminate ss2 and put a clock signal out on it, just to verify the pin is good. So I stripped out all the code for the device at SS2 and un-checked the box for ss2 in the Unconfigured SCB. But the SPIM was not agreeable with this, and did not operate normally anymore for the other two slaves. (Looked like it was trying to use very long data words). Is it possible there's a problem with the internal code for the SCB?

Thanks.

Dave

• 4. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2
                user_1377889

I would suggest you to

• Try a different kit, one where you have debug capabilities on. Debugging will reveal any errors we haven't thought of yet.
                • Try to create a support case to get help by a cypress engineer.

Bob

• 5. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

Bob,

Thanks again for the help. I just happened to have a CY8CKIT-059 in a Mouser box waiting to be opened, so debugger added, and all went smoothly. I decided to try swapping the SS1 and SS2 pins and this seemed to show that there is a problem with the SCB block, as the result was that the opposite CAP1128 began to work, and the one that worked before did not. So I bundled two projects up, showing original and swapped scenarios, and created a support case.

Dave

• 6. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

Hi Bob,

I see this morning that my case (Tech Support MyCase 00394760 ) is already classified as CANCELLED, recommending I go back to online resources. Attached is the content I had uploaded. Below is the text from the case. I'm not sure what to do next. Thanks.

I am using the CYC8KIT-049 (42xx) plugged into my own board, which has three SPI devices sharing the same SCB SPI Master. The one at SS0 is a LED matrix which speaks Motorola with 16 bit data. At SS1 and SS2 are two Microchip CAP1128 capsense button controllers, which also speak Motorola, but with 8-bit data. SCB is initialized as Unconfigured. My code works with the LED matrix and the CAP1128 at SS1, and I have identical code to operate that at SS2. I also have a UART that spits debug info over the USB serial, showing button activity. My problem is that the PSOC will not operate the SS2 pin, it just sits high. I used a logic analyzer to catch this culprit, and to ensure that it wasn't interference on my board, I unplugged the 049 board and still no waveform on SS2. I have since, created the attached pair of projects that I believe show the smoking gun. What I did was reverse the two pins for SS1 and SS2, which demonstrates that the problem originates in the SCB block, rather than at pins or external hardware. 

On Bob Marlow's advice I began using a Cypress debugger with the 049 board (I bought an 059 board and broke off the debugger board). So the two projects in the attached workspace are not implemented as bootloadable. 

Thanks for the help.

-Dave
                    • 7. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2
                      user_246598725

Hi Dave,

have you tried to update to the newest SCB component version and/or using the latest PSoC Creator release?

According to register datasheet, the slave address values are 0-3 in order for the slave select lines.

I checked the header files, your current slave select values for the SPI control register are:

SS0 0

SS1 3

SS2 1

SS3 2

So, maybe it's related to this. As far as I can see, in the newest component versions, the addresses are also in order.

Regards

• 8. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that. I updated to the current Creator 4.1 and did Component update, which took the SCB from 3.2 to 4.0. No joy though.

I'm not familiar with where you're looking and seeing the out of order SS values. I wasn't able to find anything like that. Sounds like something that's outside of my control though...? If there's a way for me to put them in order, I'll need some coaching.

Thanks again.

Dave

• 9. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2
                          user_1377889

You might try a different approach. Instead of using an unconfigured SCB you may use one that is configured as SPI with 3 ss lines.

See if that works.

Bob

• 10. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

Hi Bob,

Problem with that is, the CAP1128's are 8-bit and the MAX7221's are 16-bit. I guess your thought makes me wonder if I can use 16-bit mode with the CAPs and they would just not see the most significant byte. One experiment to try... Before that, I think I'll build up a duplicate of my existing project, but this time, make the MAX SS2. I'm seeing some other peculiarities with the existing project, where it no longer responds to swapping the pins on the CAPs. Weird thing now is, the CAP1128_B (U5) ALWAYS works, despite swapping SS pins, and the CAP1128_A (U11), which was originally the one that worked (on SS1), now never works. So I guess a from-scratch build-up is called for.

Thanks again.

• 11. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2
                              user_246598725

onedashtwoeightone_1448511 schrieb:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that. I updated to the current Creator 4.1 and did Component update, which took the SCB from 3.2 to 4.0. No joy though.

I'm not familiar with where you're looking and seeing the out of order SS values. I wasn't able to find anything like that. Sounds like something that's outside of my control though...? If there's a way for me to put them in order, I'll need some coaching.

Thanks again.

Dave

If you're referring to my post, I'm Ralf =)

Regarding the update, maybe it's needed to delete the generated SCB API files, because even with the update it might be that the values for SS lines might be preserved.

I found the non-order SS values in the SPIM_SPI_UART.H file:

/* SPI slave select constants */

#define SPIM_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT0    (SPIM_SCB__SS0_POSISTION)

#define SPIM_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT1    (SPIM_SCB__SS1_POSISTION)

#define SPIM_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT2    (SPIM_SCB__SS2_POSISTION)

#define SPIM_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT3    (SPIM_SCB__SS3_POSISTION)

Now, if you check the values for SPIM_SCB__SS0_POSISTION to SPIM_SCB__SS3_POSISTION, you'll see that the values are 0, 3, 1, 2. If I understand the register manual correctly, the values for SS0 to SS3 should be 0, 1, 2 and 3 in order.

SPIM_SCB__SSx_POSISTION are defined in cyfitter.h.

In your project, they're defined as follows:

#define SPIM_SCB__SS0_POSISTION 0u

#define SPIM_SCB__SS1_POSISTION 3u

#define SPIM_SCB__SS2_POSISTION 1u

#define SPIM_SCB__SS3_POSISTION 2u

I cleaned your project, updated the components, build again and then checked cyfitter.h. Now, the result is:

#define SPIM_SCB__SS0_POSISTION 0u

#define SPIM_SCB__SS1_POSISTION 1u

#define SPIM_SCB__SS2_POSISTION 2u

#define SPIM_SCB__SS3_POSISTION 3u

Regards

• 12. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

Ralph,

Thanks again for the help on this. Seemed like a good suspect you had, but I've now updated and cyfitter.h reads POSISTION  in the right order. What changed is that now ss2 does have a waveform, but ss1 is missing its waveform. Checked it all again on the logic analyzer. Saw a beautiful set of waveforms for a transfer involving ss2, but not ss1. I'm uploading my latest, which, by the way is no longer a bootloadable. As mentioned before, I'm using an 059 kit debugger now.

Dave

• 13. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2
                                  user_246598725

Hi Dave,

okay, now let's check a few other things... I'm confused about the assignment of the /SS signals to the /SS pins. Your latest project now uses all four /SS lines, with the following pin assignment:

SCB signalSCB pin (dedicated to SCB function)
                                  /SS0SCB1.ssel0
                                  /SS1SCB1.ssel3
                                  /SS2SCB1.ssel2
                                  /SS3SCB1.ssel1

If I understand you correctly, you've connected three slaves on signals /SS0 to /SS2, which corresponds to pins ssel0, ssel2 and ssel3. Is this correct?

So, is there any waveform on /SS3 (ssel1)?

If needed, maybe I can setup a CY8CKIT-049 board and try to reproduce your issue.

EDIT: your current project is not on the latest component versions (e.g. SCB is on 3.2, latest is 4.0).

Regards

• 14. Re: SCB SPI Master Not Actuating SS2

Hi Ralph,

Ah-- Sorry for the confusing change -- You're correct. The reason for the change: Last night, as an experiment, I enabled SS3 and temporarily swapped the pins between ss1 and ss3 to see if my missing waveform might be there. I didn't see any change, though I didn't take the extra step of putting it on the analyzer.

From your table below, it looks like my change caused a new re-ordering of the signals?

Dave

1 2 Previous Next