Unique Chip Identifier

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Does each BCM20736 chip have a unique identifier that I can use to differentiate one chip from another? I'm also a little confused about the local BD address returned by emconinfo_getAddr(void). I'm seeing that every one of my devices that I program return with the same exact MAC address. My understanding was that MAC addresses were unique to each chip, and were set by the manufacturer.

thanks,

akbar

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

All of our devices ship with the same BD_ADDR. If you look through the site, there are some threads that talking about generating random BD_ADDRs which is supported within the SDK and work fines within a controlled embedded type of environment.  for most use cases, you will need to purchase a block of addresses from the IEEE then program during production.

BD_ADDR - how do you get one?

BD_ADDR: Changing BCM20737 Board Address for Production

Regarding a unique chip identifier, the UUID could be used: iBeacon, Unique IDs

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

All of our devices ship with the same BD_ADDR. If you look through the site, there are some threads that talking about generating random BD_ADDRs which is supported within the SDK and work fines within a controlled embedded type of environment.  for most use cases, you will need to purchase a block of addresses from the IEEE then program during production.

BD_ADDR - how do you get one?

BD_ADDR: Changing BCM20737 Board Address for Production

Regarding a unique chip identifier, the UUID could be used: iBeacon, Unique IDs