How to Specify Factory Bad Blocks in S34ml02g1?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there

I have a problem in the the start of  working with this Nand ... and it is that , when i do " page read " and read the first Byte of the first and secound Page of all the Blocks , all the data bytes are FFh. and according to the datasheet there is no Factory Bad Block. Is it Possible ??????

I must say that i do my work based on Preliminary version of datasheets .

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Alirezza,

Any block where the 1st byte in the spare area  of 1st or 2nd or last page does not contain FFh is a Bad block. So if you read the first byte of first and second pages of all the blocks it will be FF as it is the default value. The device will be shipped shipped will all locations as FF except for bad blocks if at all present. So please check the pages in spare area instead of first and second pages of block area.

Thanks,

Krishna.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Alirezza,

Any block where the 1st byte in the spare area  of 1st or 2nd or last page does not contain FFh is a Bad block. So if you read the first byte of first and second pages of all the blocks it will be FF as it is the default value. The device will be shipped shipped will all locations as FF except for bad blocks if at all present. So please check the pages in spare area instead of first and second pages of block area.

Thanks,

Krishna.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Krishna

Thanks a lot .

I forgot to write the word "Spare"

i mean that i read all the first Bytes in spare area (byte address in decimal:  2048  in the  page) of 1st and 2nd page of any block. but you  wrote also the last page ..... so i will check that but it was not in the data sheet .

datasheet says that " any block where the 1st byte in the Spare area of the 1st or 2nd page does not contain FFh is a bad block"

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Alirezza,

I am not sure which version of datasheet you are looking at. Perhaps you are referring to old datasheet. In the latest datasheet the last page is also mentioned. Please refer the datasheet from the link given below :

http://www.cypress.com/file/207521/download

Please refer section 9.2 " Bad Block Management " in the datasheet.

If you read FFh it means that there are no bad blocks. If you read anything other FF then it s bad block.

Thanks,

Krishna.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yes .... you are right

it was old version (Spansion)

thank you ... i hop to get good results.

With Best Regards.

0 Likes