Driver installation for WICED Sense

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have the BCM9WICED_SNSE Bluetooth Smart sensor development kit

The one with the red cover shown in the link below:

http://www.macnica-na.com/wiced

I also downloaded the SDK, and followed the "WICED Smart Deveopment system" document.

After I first connected the device to my PC, the drivers didn't install properly, and I was unable to see them in the device manager.

I am using windows 7.

Also, the documentation in the SDK referece to BCM92073x_LE_KIT, which is not what I have, so I don't see how can I use this manual to help me build applications.

Thanks,

Yoav

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

You will need to download the Silicon Labs USB to Serial drivers that are listed within the WICED Sense Index here: WICED Sense Table of Contents

Make sure the kit is unplugged from the USB port when this is done, then reboot and plug the kit in.

Once the drivers are running, you can plug the kit into your PC and program any of the included profiles within the WICED Smart SDK onto the kit.

The Index above also has alot of other good links both for ideas and if you get stuck.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
37 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

You will need to download the Silicon Labs USB to Serial drivers that are listed within the WICED Sense Index here: WICED Sense Table of Contents

Make sure the kit is unplugged from the USB port when this is done, then reboot and plug the kit in.

Once the drivers are running, you can plug the kit into your PC and program any of the included profiles within the WICED Smart SDK onto the kit.

The Index above also has alot of other good links both for ideas and if you get stuck.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

what "index above"?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

got it...

download the driver from

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

DONT FORGET TO EXTRACT the files to any folder, and only then click the installation file (32 or 64 bit)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks,

how can I verify the switches modes in the WICED sense kit, as written in the documentation:

"Verify the WICED Smart Tag is plugged into the development PC

 Verify the USB-UART driver is correctly installed and all switches (SW2, SW3, SW4) are correctly set as described in Section 3.1.2

 Press the reset button on the WICED Smart Tag to prepare the tag for firmware download on the UART interface. The reset button is shown in Figure 3 outlined by a red rectangle."

The kit does not have those switches.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is troubleshooting the following download error message:

Detecting device...

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| No tag detected                                                                          |

| 1. Verify the tag is connected _AND_ powered                                             |

| 2. Verify SW2 and SW3 switches are in the UP position and all SW4 switches are set to ON |

| 3. Press the reset button on the tag and retry                                           |

|                                                                                          |

| If this problem persists, the EEPROM on the tag may be corrupted                         |

| Please see Appendix D in the Quick Start Guide for recovery instructions                 |

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Downloading application...

0 Likes

Disregard.

This is referring to our full featured TAG board, which is used for development.

WICED Sense was designed as a user experience/Eval board tool, so it's quite a bit more basic compared to the development board.

Nonetheless, you can use the SDK to program it...

To fix this issue, you need to get the kit into programming mode (in Application mode by default)

Open the kit and hit the reset switch inside: WICED Sense Recovery Procedure Video

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

so how do I troubleshoot this device detection error:

01:22:37 **** Build of configuration blood_pressure_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32 for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****

"C:\\Users\\yoav\\Documents\\WICED\\WICED-Smart-SDK-1.1.0\\WICED-Smart-SDK\\make.exe" ROM.heart_rate_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32 download

Linking target ELF

OK, made elf.

..\..\Tools\ARM_GNU\bin\Win32\arm-none-eabi-objdump: section '.data' mentioned in a -j option, but not found in any input file

Writing Hex image

OK, made C:/Users/yoav/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-1.1.0/WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/spar/../../build/heart_rate_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20732A0-heart_rate_monitor-rom-ram-spar.full.hex.

Call to heart_rate_monitor_spar_crt_setup @ 00208975

OK, made C:/Users/yoav/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-1.1.0/WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/spar/../../build/heart_rate_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20732A0-heart_rate_monitor-rom-ram-spar.cgs. MD5 sum is:

a72134107e3dc22deee2f700ff00132a *../../build/heart_rate_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20732A0-heart_rate_monitor-rom-ram-spar.cgs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patches start at                  0x00205918 (RAM address)

Patches end at                    0x002085E8 (RAM address)

Application starts at             0x00208524 (RAM address)

Application ends at               0x00208974 (RAM address)

Patch size (including reused RAM)      11472 bytes

Patch size                             11276 bytes

Application size                        1104 bytes

------

Total RAM footprint                    12380 bytes (12.1kiB)

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

Detecting device...

| No tag detected                                                                          |

| 1. Verify the tag is connected _AND_ powered                                             |

| 2. Verify SW2 and SW3 switches are in the UP position and all SW4 switches are set to ON |

| 3. Press the reset button on the tag and retry                                           |

|                                                                                          |

| If this problem persists, the EEPROM on the tag may be corrupted                         |

| Please see Appendix D in the Quick Start Guide for recovery instructions                 |

**** Download failed - Press the reset button on the device and retry ****

01:22:42 Build Finished (took 5s.297ms)

0 Likes

To fix this issue, you need to get the kit into programming mode (in Application mode by default)

Open the kit and hit the reset switch inside: WICED Sense Recovery Procedure Video

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

according to the video I need to hit both the boot and reset buttons at the same time...which means I need to take it remove the PCB from its cover... they seems to be glued pretty hard to one another...Is there a safe way to separate between the two?

0 Likes

Just hit reset.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't, the reset button is at the bottom. I only have access to the boot ROM button shown as 1 in the video.

In order to reach the reset I think I have to take the whole thing apart... and I want to be able to put it back together (which will not happen if I use force to separate the two parts).

0 Likes

Take the top off, the button you see inside is reset.

I have done this several times, on several boards.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I pressed it once, twice, 10 seconds...still the same error.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Yoav,

You need to go through the recovery process:

WICED SENSE Kit BLOG

Refer to this section:

WICED Sense Recovery

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the help, but I still cannot download the heart_rate_monitor example to the WICED.

I followed the recovery instructions, and I received the "application running" message. So far so good.

Then I attempted to double click the heart_rate_monitor demo that I copied pasted from the hello_sensor example, and this is what I see:

02:15:16 **** Build of configuration blood_pressure_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32 for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****

"C:\\Users\\yoav\\Documents\\WICED\\WICED-Smart-SDK-1.1.0\\WICED-Smart-SDK\\make.exe" ROM.heart_rate_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32 download

Linking target ELF

OK, made elf.

..\..\Tools\ARM_GNU\bin\Win32\arm-none-eabi-objdump: section '.data' mentioned in a -j option, but not found in any input file

Writing Hex image

OK, made C:/Users/yoav/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-1.1.0/WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/spar/../../build/heart_rate_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20732A0-heart_rate_monitor-rom-ram-spar.full.hex.

Call to heart_rate_monitor_spar_crt_setup @ 00208975

OK, made C:/Users/yoav/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-1.1.0/WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/spar/../../build/heart_rate_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20732A0-heart_rate_monitor-rom-ram-spar.cgs. MD5 sum is:

a72134107e3dc22deee2f700ff00132a *../../build/heart_rate_monitor-BCM920732TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20732A0-heart_rate_monitor-rom-ram-spar.cgs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patches start at                  0x00205918 (RAM address)

Patches end at                    0x002085E8 (RAM address)

Application starts at             0x00208524 (RAM address)

Application ends at               0x00208974 (RAM address)

Patch size (including reused RAM)      11472 bytes

Patch size                             11276 bytes

Application size                        1104 bytes

------

Total RAM footprint                    12380 bytes (12.1kiB)

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

Detecting device...

**** Download failed - Press the reset button on the device and retry ****

Maybe I should reinstall the SDK? I am using SDK 1.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yoav,

Take off the battery and try again...

Regards,

Henry

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, just my five cents:

You try a WICED Smart demo on a WICED Sense?

Two different devices, different platforms and SDKs.

Are you sure it will work to run a blood pressure sensor from SMART on a SENSE?

I do not think so.

Please, don't be confused about WICED Smart and WICED Sense - not the same.

I would think, WICED Smart SDK and demos will not work on a WICED Sense.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I downloaded the sense SDK as shown in the tutorial

WICED SENSE Kit BLOG

But I still getting errors:

10:45:16 **** Build of configuration Release for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****

"C:\\Users\\yoav\\Documents\\WICED\\WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1\\WICED-Smart-SDK\\make.exe" WICED_Sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

make.exe[1]: *** No rule to make target '../../build/WICED_Sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/drivers/l3gd20_driver.o', needed by '../../build/WICED_Sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20737A1-WICED_Sense-rom-ram-spar.elf'.  Stop.

make: *** [WICED_Sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32] Error 2

Makefile:329: recipe for target 'WICED_Sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32' failed

It seems I am missing:

l3gd20_driver.o

I do have .h and .c with the same name.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

by the way, when running the hello_sensor target the device is found:

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

OTA image footprint in NV is 7007 bytes

Detecting device...

Device found

****Download failed - Press the reset button on the device and retry ****

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im facing the same issue yoav! Have you used the recovery process? Do we need to remove the entire cover to use both the reset/boot button..

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Similar error even after resetting the buttons.. Any suggestions?

02:32:07 **** Build of configuration Release for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****

"C:\\Users\\rjoseph\\Documents\\WICED\\WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1\\WICED-Smart-SDK\\make.exe" WICED_SENSE-BCM920737TAG_Q32 recover UART=COM7

make.exe[1]: *** No rule to make target '../../build/WICED_SENSE-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/drivers/l3gd20_driver.o', needed by '../../build/WICED_SENSE-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20737A1-WICED_SENSE-rom-ram-spar.elf'.  Stop.

Makefile:329: recipe for target 'WICED_SENSE-BCM920737TAG_Q32' failed

make: *** [WICED_SENSE-BCM920737TAG_Q32] Error 2

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

no worries, identified the issue!!

0 Likes

rjoseph

Can you share with the group what you did to resolve the problem?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

what did you identify? I tried the recover procedure severl times, with no luck.

If you will, please elaborate on the exact step that you've taken to resolve the issue.

I am sure it will be usefull for others.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks can be resolved following the instruction from: http://community.broadcom.com/community/wiced-smart/wiced-smart-forums/blog/2014/08/27/wiced-sense-i...

Open the top housing and push reset button, then the download can be done successfully.

Regards,

Henry

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

been there, done that, didn't work.

I also opened the rear cover, pushed both the reset and boot ROM buttons according to the recovery process (which worked), and reattempted to download the application to the device.

It didn't work. What am I missing? I followed JT's 9 minute video step by step.

Yoav

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello yoav,

Sorry you are having issues.

Can you try to hold the Boot Button down, Plug in the USB Cable and then attempt the recovery process.

Can you try to borrow someone’s WICED Sense kit to see if you have a bad board?

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes it does can not detect the device, I find before below messages show on console, I press the reset button.

----------------------------------------------------------

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

OTA image footprint in NV is 7007 bytes

------------------------------------------------------

Then, I will see "Device found".

-------------------------------------------

Detecting device...

Device found

-------------------------------------------

But I've to say, this SDK/Sense board is really not easy to use...which is very important for a beginner...

Thanks

Henry

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to be sure, which one is the boot button? The one in the middle of the board, or the one in the bottom of the board? I only have to remove the top (red) cover to reveal the boot button?

I've see two different documentations for those buttons.

Also, once I plug the tag into the USB, I should let the boot button go, right? The recovery process should be done without anythig pressed?

If that won't work, I will try another board.

Yoav

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yoav,

In the video, it is mentioned that we take all the 19 files (including from the drivers folder)  and paste it in a new folder under WICED_SMART-SDK\APP\WICED_SENSE. You need to retain the driver\ subfolder while copying and the files within it as is..Don't copy just the files within as the makefile.mk is using the driver\<file_names>...

APP_SRC = wiced_sense.c drivers/l3gd20_driver.c drivers/hts221_driver.c drivers/lis3dsh_driver.c

APP_SRC += drivers/lps25h_driver.c drivers/lsm303d_driver.c

APP_SRC += ws_sec_upgrade_ota.c ws_upgrade.c rsa_pub.

I did the above and it worked with "WICED_SENSE-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download" as a Target Make.

Or you change the makefile and remove "drivers/".

Let me know if it worked..

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You rock! nice catch! Thanks a million.

I hope that from now on we'll encounter only real problems:-)

Yoav

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for helping rjoseph!

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

JT - maybe you should add some comment regarding this issue in your Blog? changing the video is too much work... I am sure others will encounter this problem as well.

0 Likes

Be careful mixing all the marketing terminology.

WICED Sense and WICED Smart are essentially the same.  One is the brand name for an eval board, the other is a brand name for the SOC on the eval board.

The WICED Smart WICED Sense EVB is different from the WICED Smart TAG3 board in that the USB to Serial SOC used is from a different vendor and requires different drivers to be installed on the PC (FTDI vs. Silicon Labs).

Since WICED Sense was not really designed as a full featured development board like our TAG3 board, it lacks things like switches and documentation specific to the development environment.

As many others have seen, it can however be used for development and one can run profiles from the WICED Smart SDK onto the device.

It seems it this particular instance, something just isn't working right.

I know j.t was looking into this last night.

0 Likes

j.t will help you with this.  You may have to run the recoverey procedure.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello yoav,

Here is the location of the Reset and Boot buttons:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes