How to use ADC to get analog input on CY8C4014LQI-401?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am a noob on Cypress Psoc 4 MCU.

We plan to use CY8C4024LQI-S401 to read analog input by ADC.
According to this page, there is no Capsense on this MCU.
http://www.cypress.com/part/cy8c4024lqi-s401

There are two questions.

Is CSD the same with Capsense?

Is there any way to convert an analog input into a digital data without Capsense on CY8C4024LQI-S401?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Sorry for confusing you.

There is a CSD block in the CY8C4024LQI-S401 as well as other PSoC 4000 S-Series.  But it is not used for a Capacitance Sensing.  However the CSD block can be used as a set of analogue blocks like Current DAC, 1.2V Comparator, and Sigma-Delta modulator.

So, you can use the ADC feature using the CSD block on the chip.

Regards,

Noriaki

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Capsense was made to detect button presses and/or slider moverments on PCB material.

"Reading" an analog value is done by converting an analog pin's input value to a digital value which you may read and process.

Drop an ADC component onto your topdesign and click right. Choose "Find code example" and start reading...

Bob

NoriTan
Employee
Employee

CSD is an acronym of "CapSense Sigma Delta" meaning a capacitance sensing solution using sigma delta modulation technology.  So, CSD is equivalent to CapSense in this case.

Because the PSoC 4000S chip has less analogue resource except the CapSense block, I don't find any other solution to convert an analog value to an digital value without using the CapSense block.

Regards,

Noriaki

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank Noriaki and Bob.

I got confused about CSD and "Capsense supported".

I though Capsense and CSD are equivalent.

CY8C4024LQI-S401 doesn't support Capsense, so it should has no CSD block.

I was wrong.

Looks like this chip has a CSD block but not support Capsense.

Thanks.

0 Likes
NoriTan
Employee
Employee

Sorry for confusing you.

There is a CSD block in the CY8C4024LQI-S401 as well as other PSoC 4000 S-Series.  But it is not used for a Capacitance Sensing.  However the CSD block can be used as a set of analogue blocks like Current DAC, 1.2V Comparator, and Sigma-Delta modulator.

So, you can use the ADC feature using the CSD block on the chip.

Regards,

Noriaki

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

0 Likes