DMA Wizard prohibits linking 8-bit SAR ADC to 8-bit VDAC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The DMA Wizard does not allow linking an 8-bit SAR ADC to an 8-bit VDAC.

It complains about incompatible burst sizes. The specific error is "The selected Source and Destination have incompatible Burst sizes. No valid size can be selected".

A minimal example project just containing the three relevant components added to the schematic is attached. This is enough to reproduce the error message. Also attached a screenshot of the error message.

I suspect this is due to the SAR ADC being permanently stuck in a 16-bit register configuration from the DMA's perspective, even if the component is configured with 8-bit resolution. This means that the DMA configuration assumes a minimum burst size of 2 bytes, even though a burst size of 1 byte should be fine.

In the DMA section of the SAR ADC datasheet, I see this comment about the ADC_SAR_WRK0_PTR source: "Receive a 2-byte result for a conversion with a result that always has 12-bit resolution." This supports the previous suspicion that the DMA burst size cannot shrink to match the configured 8-bit resolution.

The DMA Wizard scales the DeltaSigma ADC burst size correctly from 1 to 3 bytes as the resolution changes from 8-bit to 20-bit. The DeltaSigma datasheet also lists these burst sizes as valid lengths of ADC_DelSig_DEC_SAMP_PTR depending on resolution. I'm just surprised that the SAR ADC cannot scale burst width similarly.

Is this a bug, or just a limitation of the SAR ADC hardware?

Are there any workaround suggestions besides just using the DeltaSigma ADC instead of the SAR ADC?

I doubt it's possible to just point the DMA source address to ADC_SAR_WRK0_REG, which contains the relevant 8-bit value.

I'm thinking one option is to chain a pair of TDs that each read one byte, where the first TD passes the first byte along to the 8-bit VDAC, and the second TD just throws the other byte away.

I also found these two unresolved threads which encountered the same burst width issue.

DMA from SAR to VDAC

Why I am unable to transfer data from ADC_SAR to VDAC8 Via DMA?

0 Likes
1 Solution
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

The burst size of the ADC_SAR component used by the DMA Wizard is described in the DMA Capability file at the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.1\PSoC Creator\psoc\content\CyComponentLibrary\CyComponentLibrary.cylib\ADC_SAR_v3_0\PSoC5\ADC_SAR_v3_0.cydmacap  Following is the content of the file.

<DMACapability>

<Category name="SAR_ADC"

enabled="true"

bytes_in_burst="2"

bytes_in_burst_is_strict="true"

spoke_width="2"

inc_addr="false"

each_burst_req_request="true">

<Location name="`$INSTANCE_NAME`_SAR_WRK0_PTR" enabled="true" direction="source"/>

</Category>

</DMACapability>

It was found from this file, there is only one "Category" supporting 2-byte burst transfer.  It is available to describe multiple "Category" in a DMA Capability file.  So you can modify the ADC_SAR component to have an additional "Category" supporting 8-bit transfer.  Please refer "7.4 Add/Create DMA Capability File" in the following document.

PSoC® Creator™ Component Author Guide | Cypress Semiconductor

Regards,

Noriaki

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
NoriTan
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

The burst size of the ADC_SAR component used by the DMA Wizard is described in the DMA Capability file at the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.1\PSoC Creator\psoc\content\CyComponentLibrary\CyComponentLibrary.cylib\ADC_SAR_v3_0\PSoC5\ADC_SAR_v3_0.cydmacap  Following is the content of the file.

<DMACapability>

<Category name="SAR_ADC"

enabled="true"

bytes_in_burst="2"

bytes_in_burst_is_strict="true"

spoke_width="2"

inc_addr="false"

each_burst_req_request="true">

<Location name="`$INSTANCE_NAME`_SAR_WRK0_PTR" enabled="true" direction="source"/>

</Category>

</DMACapability>

It was found from this file, there is only one "Category" supporting 2-byte burst transfer.  It is available to describe multiple "Category" in a DMA Capability file.  So you can modify the ADC_SAR component to have an additional "Category" supporting 8-bit transfer.  Please refer "7.4 Add/Create DMA Capability File" in the following document.

PSoC® Creator™ Component Author Guide | Cypress Semiconductor

Regards,

Noriaki

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi,

I am also looking into this, but my coding skills are poor at best. With the "Create DMA Capability File" chapter, I cannot figure out how to add an extra category to a SAR component within a project. What are the required steps to get a SAR that has a 1 byte burst capability into a project?

Thank you in advance!

With kind regards,

Jim

0 Likes