11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2019 7:43 AM by olscc_4084756

BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt

Hello, I am working on a new board and we are using type 1Dx wifi&bluetooth chip, and I am trying to bring it up on Yocto Project. I need permission from your company to upstream BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt file into Yocto Project source base like. Who do I need to ask permission to use it? Our Yocto team is waiting for permission.

Message was edited by: Keerock Lee

Message was edited by: Keerock Lee

• 2. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt
          MichaelF_56

Moving to the Murata partner space and adding ghmoc_2134696 and ScKe_1713761 from Murata.

• 3. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt

Can anyone answer to my request? I am still waiting from cypress to approve.

• 4. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt
              MichaelF_56

Would you mind providing some background on why you would like to upstream both the BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt file into a Yocto Project source base.

Will this be used for an evaluation kit your company is delivering to the market which leverages the Murata 1DX?

Sorry for the delay and questions, but this is not a standard request and in order to ask senior management for permission to allow this activity, they will want to know the details.

ToIn_1742091

• 5. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt

We are developing an open source hardware board for developer in the market and we are using Murata 1DX chip on board.

One of our supporting OS is Yocto Project linux OS and would like to enable wifi/BT feature by default.

these two files are needed to enable it and we are planning to included them in meta-intel layer in Yocto.

I also will work with Ubuntu release team to add them.

• 6. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt
                  MichaelF_56

I will try to determine who internally is the correct entity to address this request.

• 7. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt

@mifo Any Update??

• 8. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt
                      MichaelF_56

Would you mind providing some background on why you would like to upstream both the BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt file into a Yocto Project source base.

Will this be used for an evaluation kit your company is delivering to the market which leverages the Murata 1DX?

Sorry for the delay and questions, but this is not a standard request and in order to ask senior management for permission to allow this activity, they will want to know the details.

At this point, the best bet is to open a case (Cypress.com->MyCases) with the engineering team and provide details in the case.

Again, this is not a typical request, so I have not been able to get anyone's attention.

• 9. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt
                        olscc_4084756

Hi @michaelf_56 and cypress.

I think what Keerock.Lee_2531796 was after, was a 'redistributable' license. Lets first go over the why.

WIthout a redistributable license (be it used for yocto or anything else) basically prohibits anyone from using the actual firmware. Officially (And I'm sure almost all your customers are violating this) every user would have to download the firmware himself and agree to the terms of the license personally. This of course never happens. The firmware is shipped inside the product and may be part of a firmware update file, which is offered online.

As such, legally everybody would be in violation of the current license of said file.

How many vendors deal with this, is release the firmware under a 'redistributable' license. Broadcom has done this for years and even you yourself (Cypress) is doing this currently. Albeit probably from a different department. These firmwares tend to be available via the linux-firmware git repository.

To see what I mean, the following links. Here is Cypress own redistributable license: LICENCE.cypress - kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git - Repository of firmware blobs for use with the Linux kernel

The license was actually added by a cypress employee (Chi-Hsien Lin <chi-hsien.lin@cypress.com>2017-12-01 02:43:00 -0600) Since cypress only very recently acquired the Broadcom devisiion, it is understandable not everyone within Cypress is aware of this.

In any case, going with the previous Broadcom items, these are placed in the brcm subdirectory. Here we already find a lot of firmware files (mostly for wifi) but yes, there are also bluetooth firmware (BCM-0bb4-0306.hcd\brcm - kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git - Repository of firmware blobs for use with the Linux ke… )

So I guess what Keerock.lee_2531796 was asking, (and ultimatly also am I; could cypress cover the requested firmware put under the existing redistributable cypress license (and ideally also put the firmware in the linked repository even!, always more impressive if the vendor does this themselves).

From the above repository, it also no longer matters if it is used with yocto or anything else.

• 10. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt
                          MichaelF_56

I spoke to the software team and they provided the following guidance:

In fact, the FW license that we use in the FW package is re-distributable (see below). Regular product vendors can re-distribute the fw/nvram files with their products without a problem.

“… Cypress grants you a non-exclusive,

non-transferable license under its copyright rights in the Cypress Source Code

to reproduce, modify, compile, and distribute the Cypress Source Code, …”

The special thing about our license is that it contains a termination clause that open source licenses typically don’t have. We do this intentionally to avoid having people misuse the nvram, which cause support issues (doesn't scale).

“… This Agreement is effective until terminated, and either

party may terminate this Agreement at any time with or without cause….”

• 11. Re: BCM43430A1.hcd and type1dx_nvram.txt
                            olscc_4084756

Thanks Michael for helping to put this issue to reset. These half-answered lingering threads can be confusing

I'll compare the licenses, but it looks like the licenses are then thus the same between the repositories. (Would be strange to 2 different licenses from the same vendor right?)

If they are not the same, could you see if it would legally be possible to combine/relicense this firmware under the same license as the other firmwares? This to prevent on having LICENSE.cypress and LICENSE.cypress2 of course.

About the nvram termination clause, I assume that this is mostly intended for malicious use of the nvram, right? If a product gets shipped with accidentally wrong nvram values, and all effort is being put into restoring this, the agreement can be un-terminated again?

PS.S. would cypress be willing to commit the firmware files to the upstream firmware repository? Others can do it for you, but it is always more valueable if the vendor does it themselves.