3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 4:17 PM by userc_12556

Black Magic Probe or OpenOCD?

Greetings,

Has anyone tried using the Black Magic Probe or some sort of OpenOCD compatible device?  I'm looking at alternatives to JLINK.

thank you

• 1. Re: Black Magic Probe or OpenOCD?
          MichaelF_56

I'm not aware of anyone internally that has tried these tools, but maybe another user can comment.

We support WICED Smart J-Link Debugger and ARM RealView RVDS (replaced by DSTREAM/DS5).

• 2. Re: Black Magic Probe or OpenOCD?

I have just tried OpenOCD with Amontec (or Signalyzer) JTAG adapter, on another chip (Cortex A9).
            It was working pretty nice.
            I like OpenOCD, it has also helpful TCL and low-level JTAG features, e.g. also playing SVF files, playing with scan chain. DS5 and DStream hide too much: if JTAG issues - you are lost and the error messages there are not helpful. And creating a debug database for Eclipse is needed and a bit tricky.

I would think OpenOCD should work on a Cortex-M3 with one of the adapters supported by it (quite a lot on its list, e.g. Amontek, Signalyzer or a self-made JTAG dongle as well).

And if IDE supports GDB then it should work to integrate into IDE (otherwise debugging on GDB command line might be acceptable. I did sometimes, mainly e.g. for loading and launching new code images to target).

(sorry, no time left to give it a try and WICED Sense does not have a JTAG/SWD header/solder pads (?))

• 3. Re: Black Magic Probe or OpenOCD?

thanks, I use OpenOCD on other arm projects, just looking for anyone with hands-on experience with alternatives to j-link.