0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 9:54 AM by user_502702041

I am curious why Buck and Boost technologies are used which are constrained by their inductive energy storage topology, when more modern topologies of the last decade are superior and more cost effective?

user_502702041

Sorry for long title: I am curious why Buck and Boost technologies are used which are constrained by their inductive energy storage topology, when more modern topologies of the last decade are superior and more cost effective? A exciting new world of Power Electronics Topologies is rapidly emerging.

For example:

http://www.powerelectronics.com/power-management/step-down-dc-dc-converter-eliminates-ferrite-cores-50khz-enabling-power…

Significant improvement in efficiency and reduced cost is realized, not to mention also reduced size and increased power density.

I strongly recommend joining a growing group centered on Power Electronics Topologies, that is already bringing forward topologies that will replace the Buck and Boost technologies.

Has anyone at Cypress engineering considered the half dozen or so new topologies of the last 8 years which will ultimately replace the Buck and Boost technologies? The above link is one good example of this. The latest Cuk patents are leading the charge to the next level in Power Electronics design.

Combining PSoC chips with more flexible power modules could allow for user programmability of control subsystems, but more importantly allow for instrumenting the power management subsystem.

Regards

Clifford Emeric