1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2018 11:08 AM by JoMe_264151

User home path problem (bug?)

miisc_2720406

PSoC Creator  4.1 (4.1.0.2686)

Culture: Russian (Russia)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.15063.0

CLR Version: 4.0.30319.42000

"Creator" uses user home directory (Documents) for installing PDL and downloading example projects.

But if the path contains non-english characters, it fails to use it.

For example:

I download an example and tries to create a project based on it.

Creator asks for new project location and on the next step says that my username included in the path is incorrect string.

• 1. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
          JoMe_264151

I had the same problem. Cypress told me to install PDL in a different location and to set the path in project settings. I tested and it worked.

Bob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
            miisc_2720406

Yes, it works for PDL, but not for examples

• 3. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
              JoMe_264151

I would suggest you to get in contact with Cypress directly: At top of Cypress Home page select "Design support -> Create a Support Case" and ask your question. You will be helped by a Cypress engineer.

Bob

• 4. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                MarkS_11

I am trying to reproduce the error. Do you get this message from PSoC Creator? I installed PDL into My Documents/банан. It is driving me banans

Failed while attempting to update project 'CE218636_I2S01': Unable to include referenced file: 'C:\Users\yfs\Documents\?????\PDL\3.0.1\drivers\peripheral\ipc\cy_ipc_config.c'. One or more invalid characters appears in the path: 'C:\Users\yfs\Documents\?????\PDL\3.0.1\drivers\peripheral\ipc\cy_ipc_config.c'. Examples of invalid characters are as follows: '", <, >, |, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, , , �, �, , �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, *, ?'. Please notice that some invalid characters are shown as Unicode characters..

• 5. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                  JoMe_264151

Mark, see case#00371365.

Bob

• 6. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                    MarkS_11

Ah! Is this an FM0+ project?

• 7. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                      scotta_91

It would be very helpful if you would provide the path that you had as the issue may be limited to a specific character and not all non-English characters.

• 8. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                        miisc_2720406

It's not about single character, it says "Исаев" is incorrect string within path.

• 9. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                          miisc_2720406

Yes. it's withing Creator. But i'm not building custom project (I wrote about PDL as it's placed in same userhome subfolder and I _expect_ same problems with it).

I've just received CY8CKIT-042 (4248 BLE Kit) and try to open one of Examples. Creator downloads it in userhome subdirectory correctly, but when I press Create project it asks for new project location and on the next step throws that window with path element error.

PS. I also tried to reinstall PDL in some correct root folder and to create new project with wizard - it builds with no problem.

• 10. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                            MarkS_11

Do you get this...

Unable to open the workspace "C:\Users\yfs\Documents\банан\PSoC_4_BLE_CapSense_Slider_LED\PSoC_4_BLE_CapSense_Slider_LED.cywrk": (Invalid character(s): бан). Address the error and try again.

I do not think this is a PDL issue. The documentation could be better on this subject but the PDL is a driver library for Flexible Microcontroller (FMx) products and also PSoC 6. It is not needed for PSoC 4 BLE.

PSoC Creator cannot handle projects in folders with these characters in the path because it relies upon executables in the build flow that do not support them. We cannot fix the third party tools and so we have to deny the request to create the project. I have tried to create new projects and kit projects and code example projects in my банан folder and it does not let that happen (strictly I am using an internal build of 4.2 but I do not think this has changed since 4.1).

I realize this is a big pain, and I apologize for the inconvenience, but can you create projects in a folder that our software can handle?

• 11. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                              JoMe_264151

To be honest: Windows supports language specific characters in pathnames for 15 years now. A software that is not able to handle that should be corrected, regardless of "third party". At least (the very least) the installer should not propose such filenames nor accept them as a choice. Removing and re-installing can be a pain ita.

Bob

• 12. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                                miisc_2720406

ONE MORE TIME.

PDL or build toolchain is NOT the main problem - I can fix it.

The main problem is "Example usage"  !

I can't say Creator to download examples to different place.

It creates example projects from templates downloaded to my homefolder and get no success in it.

• 14. Re: User home path problem (bug?)
                                  scotta_91

Yesterday, I reproduced the same behavior using your username on a developer setup.  I've filed a defect ticket on this (287653) to not only fix the current behavior but to also add a new test case which is missing.

The only workaround right now would be to create a user with non-Unicode characters.  From this point forward it is on the development team to fix this incorrect behavior.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  1 2 Previous Next