7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 2:22 PM by user_14586677

Bridge Control Panel: Scaling Issue in Chart Tab

aaron.1414881

I have some data that centers on zero, so I want to always show where zero is on the chart.  But neither the auto-scale nor manual max/min options allow this.  Not only does it never show zero, but it doesn't even give me equal magnitudes on either side of zero to guess from.

I know I can add a channel with a constant zero in it, but I don't want to use the bandwidth.  Please allow me to always see where zero is on the chart.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Bridge Control Panel: Scaling Issue in Chart Tab
          kin

Aaron,
              So, you are correct, bridge control panel will display the minimum but will not display the 0 point or maximum in various cases. That said there are a few things the graph can do to help you out once you've captured your data.

Let's take this setup as an example:
          [[{"fid":"181401","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"413","width":"523","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

[[{"fid":"181406","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"679","width":"854","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

If I hit repeat and vary the input I get a graph like:

[[{"fid":"181416","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"453","width":"846","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

I can use the left mouse button to draw a box and zoom in on a portion of the graph.

[[{"fid":"181421","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"679","width":"854","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

The graph zooms to:

[[{"fid":"181426","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"679","width":"854","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

If I use the right mouse button and drag, I can pan.  Depending on the limits, I can get 0 (or very close in some cases).

[[{"fid":"181431","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"427","width":"838","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

• 2. Re: Bridge Control Panel: Scaling Issue in Chart Tab
            kin

Alternatively, if you just care about where a point is, you can enable a flag and set it as a percentage of the graph.  In the Variable Settings dialog click the Flags tag and enable a flag:
            [[{"fid":"181446","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"413","width":"523","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

Then enable flags on the chart via the Flags Chart Settings dialog
            [[{"fid":"181451","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"679","width":"854","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

Set the position to be 50% (mid point of the graph in this case):

[[{"fid":"181456","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"220","width":"346","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

And start graphing.  It shows the approximate location of 0.

[[{"fid":"181461","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":""},"type":"media","attributes":{"height":"679","width":"854","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

Finally, you always have the option to export the data from Bridge Control Panel and use a tool with better controls over the chart like Excel.

• 3. Re: Bridge Control Panel: Scaling Issue in Chart Tab
              aaron.1414881

That's kinda almost there, except that an asymmetrical signal on autoscale will ruin the 50% approximation of zero.  Regardless of what anything else is doing, I need to know exactly where zero is because I have special behavior there.  I like autoscale because my data has different ranges at different times and I don't know what range to expect.  And I want to adjust parameters in realtime and watch the reaction with BCP as a display, so the offload to some other software isn't really an option.

• 4. Re: Bridge Control Panel: Scaling Issue in Chart Tab
                kin

So you really want to use flags.  Flags can be set to trigger at specific bit patterns and show up below the graph.  Additionally they can show up on the graph as another signal.  So if you go to the flags page, set the pattern to 11111111 (in the example above) and select inversion, you'll see a green x under the gf0 label when the value is 0.  Like I said, you can also graph the flags as another signal.

If you're confused, let me know and I'll post pictures.

• 5. Re: Bridge Control Panel: Scaling Issue in Chart Tab
                  aaron.1414881

Okay, so that will tell me IF a signal is zero, but not where zero is.  Did I get that right?  I really need to know where zero is.

• 6. Re: Bridge Control Panel: Scaling Issue in Chart Tab
                    kin

If you need a dynamically updated graph, with auto range and always showing 0, it is not possible with Bridge Control Panel.  It isn't simple to re-render the major/minor grid points centering around 0, or even render the 0 point without causing other issues.  I've sent your feedback to the Programmer team, but this is fairly low on the priority list.  I'm sorry I can't give you a better solution.

Alternatively you can use the Programmer COM interface to read the I2C data the graph it yourself. 

• 7. Re: Bridge Control Panel: Scaling Issue in Chart Tab
                      user_14586677

This is freeware for single user where you can config your own graphs.

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/stampplot-pro-software

Regards, Dana.