9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 3:20 PM by zoltan.polyak

"CYborg" wireless robot platform

zoltan.polyak

Hello Everybody,

I just would like to show you my little robot project which I started with another controller but due to its limitations I am planning to redesign the complete project with a high performance PSoC controller. So if you are interested in the details or you have any question please let me know.

• up to 150m range on 868MHz 9600baud, bidirectional
      •     
      • two DC motor with PWM and direction control (H-Bridge)
      •     
      • 8 analog input for sensors
      •     
      • 8 digital output for driving high current parts using darlington arrays (camera on/off, power LEDs on/off, drill on/off)
      •     
      • 8 servo control output which is NOT enough and consuming a lot of CPU (head, arm, joints)
      •     
      •    

• the robot is controlled from PC, program written in C#
      •     
      • the movement can be controlled using the mouse or a gamepad
      •     
      • I can see the camera image and do image manipulation like object recognition and stuff like this
      •     
      • voice control is coming up...
      •     
      •    

I have done a lot of things already and I still have a lot of ideas but the current version has too many limitations because of the controller which I think I can solve easily using a PSoC. I think I will do a series of "How to" while I will rebuild my little buddy. So if anyone interested please leave a comment.

Actually now he is in little parts but you can find some pictures attached how did he look like ;)

• 1. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
          pkx

Looks like a great project. Please keep us advised of your progress with the PSoC.

• 2. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
            zoltan.polyak

Hi!

I am pretty sure a PSoC can solve my problems, I wrote my final degree work about PSoC so I know the basics but still there is a lot more I don't know yet. I have to practice and try some functions. Hopefully I can get a PSoC 4 or 5 starter kit soon and I can start rebuild this project. I know this is not a "big thing" but is it useful to anybody if I keep posting the results?

• 3. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
              user_1377889

Try to get a PSoC4 -M and (not or) a PSoC 5LP prototyping kit, they will hopefully not bust your budget. They both have got debug capabilities and the PSoC4 even has got DMA!

Bob

• 4. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
                zoltan.polyak

Hi Bob!

thank you for the advice. Anyway I wanted to try out the new PSoC4 so I will give it a try. I am also interested in PRoC and BLE to add reliable connectivity but for now it will be enough if I can realize the functions I have now.

The processor speed is not really important. I am using very simple functions. But I will need a lot of digital blocks for hardware PWM servo control to save processor time. I know with PSoC I will win anyway ;)

Zoltan

• 5. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
                  user_1377889

You can easily control 4 servos with the quite common 1 to 2ms pulse interface. When you need to control more servos you will need a PSoC 5. Apart from CPU speed there are reasonable resources to control ~10 servos.

A quite interesting part would be to select / design a bus system to connect / control all sensors and actuators. Any thoughts already in this direction?

What else can I offer... I have written a small(!!!) RTOS which could add a lot of flexibility when different processes have to run in parallel. Running on a PSoC4-M.

Bob

• 6. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
                    zoltan.polyak

At first I had just the head with two servos. It was fine to control them even with the continuous serial interrupts in the background. Then I built the arms (+6 servos) and I experienced serious "shaking" because it was too time-consuming. Then I found an extremely useful article about multi-channel PWM generation and it worked like a dream. Yes I thought then maybe I will make a dedicated servo controller and maybe I will if I can not find any other solution. I planned to make a high speed SPI loop around the main board to connect additional units like dedicated servo controller. But I don't want to dream too big and make it too complicated. The original idea was to build a core communication modul and connect other additional boards to it but this will cost a fortune and also this is not a "one man" job.  I just really like how easily and fast can I develop with PSoC Creator and if I would like to build a real "CYborg" everything in it should be from Cypress (communication, microcontroller) and it should reflect the strength of PSoC. I am a layout engineer and I would like to make my own panel anyway because I don't like the restrictions of the demo boards. By the way is there a document about the minimal external part requirements and recommended layout design for a custom board? Thanks for the help, I will look further how can I put this together.

Zoltan

• 7. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
                      user_1377889

Take the schematics of the CY(CKIT-043 as a reference and skip the Kitprog part. That is a good (working flawlessly) design reference.

Bob

• 8. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
                        zoltan.polyak

Thank you very much for your help Bob! I really appreciate the tips you gave me.

Zoltan

• 9. Re: "CYborg" wireless robot platform
                          pkx

Zoltan,

There are many videos and application notes at cypress.com that will help you learn more about PSoC capabilities. http://www.cypress.com/products/free-online-video-training-and-tutorials-cypress