CY8CKIT-049-4x - it started out nice...can't program - Port Acquire failed

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've just received 41 and 42 kits and been watching the nice lessons. Now I wanted to upload the LED blinky from lesson 4 but I get this error message "Port Acquire failed". I've tried plugging out and in back again. This did not help. There were no error messages during driver install and there are no issues reported by the device manager. Windows 7 HP that is.

What to do ?

0 Likes
49 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Maybe this will help -

3.3 Programming the CY8CKIT-049-4xxx Kit

The CY8CKIT-049-4xxx kits are pre-programmed with firmware containing a bootloader. Therefore,
there are two methods of programming the onboard PSoC 4 device:

1. Perform UART bootload programming of the PSoC 4 device using the USB-Serial device as a
USB-UART bridge.

2. Use a CY8CKIT-002MiniProg3 to program and debug the target device directly.
Note that as long as the PSoC 4 device on the kit contains the bootloader, either method of program
ming can be used. If a project without a bootloader is programmed onto the PSoC 4, then only the
second method may be used until the PSoC 4 device is reprogrammed with a bootloader. In other
words, any project can be programmed using the MiniProg3 programmer, but only a bootloadable
project can be bootloaded using the first method.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, should have read the pdf before watching the videos.

So, if I ever forget to use a boatloadable - I need this jtag adapter.

Just one question: Is it right that Verify does not work ?

06:51:34 PM - Selected device: USB Serial Port (COM21)

06:51:37 PM - Programming Started

06:51:38 PM - Programming Finished Successfully

Programming completed in 1673ms.

06:51:46 PM - Verify Started

06:51:55 PM - Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'.

Verify completed in 9606ms.

Thanks,

Stephan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am facing a similar situation.

I cannot program the 049 (41xx) board the first time using bootloader. Followed all the steps but i get an error 

Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'.

Programming completed in 5644ms.

Am i making some mistake   

I am using windows xp    

com port data rate 115200, stop bit 1, parity none.    

I have followed all the steps given in the guide   

I have update psoc programmer and creator as well    

Can someone help?   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Try using PSOC programmer, and reprogram the firmware

in the board (which releoads the bootloader).

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got 10x of those.

just opened anoth package and tried with a fresh new board, having same issue !!!

???

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

File a CASE and support can do a remote desktop session

with you.

To create a technical case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The board is enumerating properly ?

You are following the user guide to program ? Note kit is loaded

with a BL and project when shipped.

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=92146

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Not missing the push button step -

9. Connect the CY8CKIT-049-4xxx prototyping board tothe PC. When connecting the kit to the port,
depress the SW1button as it is plugged in.

You will notice that the LED begins to blink rapidly; this indicates that the PSoC 4 is in 'Bootloader
Mode' and is ready to be loaded with the latestfirmware. This must be done each time you boot
load the PSoC 4.

10.Select Tools > Bootloader Hostto open the Bootloader Host tool.

Regards, Dana.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry but these CY8CKITs are very bad!

Have tried it on 2 PCs but:

- the Device will not recognised automatically

- After manually intallation of the drivers, the device is showed up as COM6 in the "Bride-Controller-Panel" Tool

- But I cant programm it from the "Creator" --> Port aquire failed

- Also the Programmer tells me that no Port is available and the 42xx Line is not available

- Now after some deinstalls and reinstalls, the PC hangs up when I put the device into the usb port (now on both PC's).

- the second PC is crashes so bad that a system repaire was needed.

First PC ist Windows 7 64Bit, seconde PC is a Windows 7 32Bit.

Never get it running. What a shame!

regards

Thomas

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

When you get a "Port acquire fail" message you are doing something wrong, this happens when you program a Pioneer or a Kit-30 or Kit-50 and something fails.

I successfully programed (any of ) my Kit-049ers by choosing under "Tools" the item "Bootloader Host". The Kit-049 shows as a COM port, nothing else.

My windows configurations are similar to yours, a Vista and a Win7/64 and no issues at all.

As a matter of fact: Cypress gave away 1500 Kits on a faire in Germany within 3 days and only a very few people have trouble to get them working at once. Most of them forgot to press the switch while inserting the kit into the USB

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

The problem is that the Device IS NOT recognised by Windows (on both PC's!).

Maybe its because I use a german version of Windows?

On one PC i put one kit into a usb-port and nothing happens. Then i put a second kit into another usb-port and then the FIRST kit will be shown. the second NOT. Sorry but something must be wrong with the USB Enumerator. Is there a Way to clean deinstall all Cypress drivers and start over? If I deinstall the Software the whole system ist full of Cypress drivers.

And what could be the case, that Windows does not recognize the usb-device himself?

best regards

Thomas

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

As posted earlier consider filing a CASE and doing a remote desktop

session.

On another fork if using windows 7 download Windows WDK, or earlier devcon.exe,

and take a look at USB ports with that. A bit of a longshot, maybe your chipset driver

needs updating in your PC ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

This has nothing to do with a German version of windows, I use one, too (being located near Bremen, where do you live?)

I just plugged the Kit into an USB-port where it has not been in yet. I opened the installer window and after a minute the attached picture was the result.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

De-installing USB-devices: Use USBDeview from nirsoft.net (comes for free).

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Bob

USBDeview was helpfull.

I have deinstalled all Cypress Devices.

After it I pluged in the kit again. But again the device was NOT recogniced well. Just en error message appears "No drivers found online...". So I have installed all drivers again manually. First the "USB-Serial Adapter". With this, also the "USB Bus Enumerator " was installed. Then manually the "USB Serial Port" and configured it to COM2 again.

Now it works!

But sorry, something must be wrong with the USB device detection. I have never had problems before with some other USB-Devices. Seems that my conditions are very rarly and I am the only one with this problems!?

I have tried it in the meantime on a third PC - and yes - it is also NOT automatically recogniced on all three PCs!
Maybe the drivers should be certificated by Microsoft 😉

Thanks again and best regards

Thomas

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

As far as I know is the needed driver a standard microsoft driver and not a Cypress driver. Just emulating a serial device from the USB-port. Drivers have been installed from microsoft update. Can it be that your AV-software hinders installation?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, those boards are a bit too tricky IMO.

I paste my response to similar thread:

"

I solved the issue with not visible COM device by unistalling everything and installing again, maybe I was using wrong USB drivers. there are a few in the supported folder. COM1 is system reserved! 3 too. so by default it showed at my PC at 4, but I set it to 21 and 115200bitrate. (maybe that was the key to success, since the default is 9600 maybe too slow and times out?)

Anyhow, the real chaviar is the unexpected, at least for me, behavior that one needs to unplug the device between either operations: programm or verify! Otherwise it times out! I made it finally to work under windows.

Now to why the linux test util drive is does not enumerate the device, yet a message with compatible device found pops up on each pluging of it.... !???

Thanks

"

The support were very helpful !!! According to thm you are supposed to browse to the file to be programmed each time, though that turned irrelevant in my case.

0 Likes
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

I am struggling to follow the thread here - it feels like there are a number of issues rolling into one. I shall offer advice based on my experiences with the kit. Note that I do have a MiniProg programmer but have never had to use it to change the bootloader on this kit. While that is an option if I want to have debugging and skip bootloading it is not intended to be a requirement in order to use the kit.

First, I always forget to hold the button down while inserting the kit into the USB socket. You need to do that in order to enter the bootloader program. It is this program that communicates with the bootloader host program.

Second, I often fail to wait for Windows to install the driver. For some reason Windows goes looking for the USB drivers using a similar strategy to that I use for finding things in my house (e.g. tools, remote controls, glasses, pets, ...). I convince myself they are where I want them to be and continue to look in only one place until my wife gets bored of the bad language and does a real search for me. It is usually a successful strategy but not the fastest method. Make sure you give Windows plenty of time to install its drivers.

Third, watch out for the COM port number. The bootloader host SW, prior to the 3.0 SP1 release, required the COM port to be less than 10. If you do not have the latest software you will get connection problems from the bootloader host if you forget to change the port number.

Last, check the baud rate. I think it is supposed to be 9600.

The instructions for setting up the bootloader are in the user guide - section 3.2 - and that is worth a read. I do not think you have over-written your bootloader and so a Miniprog seems to be a very drastic solution to htis problem. Verify that it blinks when you plug in with the button pressed...

Hope this helps.

-- Mark.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent considerable time yesterday fighting this problem with MiniProg3, PSoC 4, and the mystery error "Port Acquire Failed".  The programmer, either from PSoC Creator, or the standalong PSoC programmer, would hang and I would have to either turn off target power or kill the application from Task Manager.  Interestingly, the MiniProg3 LEDs were on IF the device was not plugged into the target.

This morning, I plugged the MiniProg3 into a USB port rated for higher current, and it immediately acquired the target.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a CY8CKIT-049-42xx device, and a Windows 8.1.

"USBSerialTestUtility.exe" see two device.

Device id                                  Frendly name

USB Port:6- Dev Id:0               USB-Serial (Single Chanel) Vendor MFG

USB Port:6- Dev Id:1               USB-Serial (Single Chanel) Vendor 1

"USB Serial Configuration Utility.exe" see only the first device.

In the "Device manager" look in section "Universel Serial Bus controllers" the frendly names, but in the the "Ports (COM & LPT)" there is not.

Other cypress apllications not see the device. I think, these applications watch the COM ports.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum, Taxi.

The prototype kit uses an emulated com-port, not USB. As the datasheet states, use the "Bootloader Host" from Creator's Tools-menu to program your bootloadable project. There is a tiny little switch on the board that has to be pressed while inserting into the USB-slot. Then start the Bootloader Host and check the com-ports.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you answer. Revealed that the device is configured my colleague from UART to I2C with "USB Serial Configuration Utility". Reset configuration to default setting appear the COM port in the "Device Manager" and in the "Bootloader Host...", but the "Select Debug Target..." still can not find anything (Port Acquire failed). Note that in the default setting the PID is 0x0002, but the windows see this device with 0x0004 PID. The USB Serial Configuration Utility write CDC protocol with only 0x0002 PID.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I can programs the device trough "Bootloader Host" succesfully, but the PSoC Creator do not see the device. Maybe someting trouble with program setup.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

PSoC Creatir will not see a bootloadable device as the CY8CKit-049-42xx.  This can only be programmes with the BootLoader Host.

The CY8CKit-042 Pioneer kit has got a more complex chip as programmer. This not only allows Creator to "See" that device, it additionally allows for debugging as setting breakpoints, inspecting/setting variables and checking the call-stack.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Using Miniprog3 to program, from kit board manual -

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folks,

Another newb here, but with some help from other forum members (many thanks to Dana and Bob) I've made it over the hump and am happily programming my $4 PSoC. The biggest problem you face is that most iof the introductory material is geared toward the Pioneer board and things are different with the prototyping kit. But Cypress is putting together material for us and it is helpful to know where to find it. Check out the videos posted recently: http://www.cypress.com/?rID=107124&cache=0&source=creatorStartPage And the front page on my PSoC creator has links to a couple projects specific to this board (probably because I downloaded it from the page for the prototyping kit.)

Here are the things I had to learn to get going :

• Ignore the examples found in File->Example Project... for now. They will be useful once you know what you're doing.
  •     
  • Understand that you must produce bootloadable projects in order to load them using the bootloader host.
  •     
  • The Program button is no use to us. That's for the Pioneer (and maybe other programmers.) Go to tools->Bootloader Host instead.
  •     
  • Do remember to hold the button when you insert the board into a USB port! (There's a project to get to the bootloader another way that is covered in the videos above.)
  •    

Good luck and enjoy!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

through three days trying I am successfully programmed the CY8CKIT-049-4xxx  Kit through Bootloader Host。During which i have made two fatal mistakes, one is at first i don't know that i need to change the Baud rate of the COM port of my compter from 9600 to 115200 (In Bootloader Host the Baud Rate should be the same ),the other is I always press the switch after the kit has been connected to the USB Port,  while these two mistake cause the bad result that :“Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'.” 

Finally i change the Baud rate to 115200 and Press down the switch on the kit before it has been connected to the USB Port of my computer, then loosen the switch,

If you see the Blue Led blink more frequently than before ,then congratulations you can program or verify or erase the kit now

For more information: operating system windows 7 32bit,  Kit software :CY8CKIT04942xxSetup.exe

Thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem with programming the PSOC4.  Forum would not accept my message, said it triggered spam filter and to report that I'm blocked.  

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still blocks my full message as spam, so in pieces....

new to psoc but not new to MCUs.   Downloaded and ran  CY8CKIT04942xxSetup_revSS.exe

The hardware drivers all install, but I get port aquire failed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still blocks my full message as spam, so in pieces....

new to psoc but not new to MCUs.   Downloaded and ran  CY8CKIT04942xxSetup_revSS.exe

The hardware drivers all install, but I get port aquire failed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have compiled, built, and generated application, but  when I go to Tools > hostdownloader, I have the com port listed, but I can't find a xxxx.cyacd file anywhere.   From device manager, everything appears to be installed correctly.   I have pressed the button on the PSoC4 as it's plugged in and get the fast flash of the blue LED.  I've set the baud rate at 115200. Still no luck. .....So I have the following questions.....

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

1.  Am I suppose to use the "program" button on the menu bar or am I suppose to use Tools>hostbootloader?

2.  If I am suppose to use the hostbootloader, do I use a .cyacd type file?

3.  Where is the .cyacd file and  how is it created?

4.  If I'm not suppose to use the <projName>.cyacd file with the hostbootloader, what file am I looking for?

5. Is the baud rate suppose to be 115200?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum!

You need 2 projects: the bootloader project which was pre-preogrammed on the CY8CKIT-049-42xx and your own Project using the BootLoadable component. You have to tell your Bootloadable project where the result-files of the first project are.

Bootloader UART baud rate has to match the Bootloader host baud rate.

Your kit has no debug capabilities, so there is no way to program it directly from Creator 3.2 SP1 (check yours for latest version)

Look into Kit's manual for the trick pushing the switch while inserting the board into USB.

An advice: get a CY8CKIT-044 with a PSoC4-M wich has got debugging capabilities and use the Kit-049 for what it is ment for: a prototype for your project, checked and tested on the Kit-044.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

From the user guide -

The MiniProg3 device provides an interface for flash programming and debug.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Bob and Dana!    I know that the baud rates have to match.  I'm not sure what the  PSoC4 default baud rate is.  Someone said they had to set there baud rate to 115200 (vs 9600) to get their connection to work; that's why I asked about the baud rate.

When I select one of the example programs, Creator asks for a folder location.  After compiling, building, generating, etc., I have checked that location for a file type of .cyacd but there never is one.   Haven't found a .hex file either.

I have a Pioneer 42 kit on order.  I know that the basic PSoC4 board doesn't have debug.  I was trying to confirm that I could program the board via Creator.   If I understand you correctly, I can not program the basic PSoC4 directly from Creator and need the miniProg3 hardware device to program the PSoC4.  So, I'll wait till the Pioneer kit arrives to play with it further.   

If I can come up to speed with the PSoC4, it will greatly simplify many of my projects.    It is amazing that (if I can get it to work) has the ability to basically create my own ASIC.

Just to be sure I understand correctly:  I need to build the sample project along with the Bootloader_PSoC4_example.  Or is it the Bootloadable_PSoC4_example?

So, till my kit comes in......I'll go back reread the docs.  for both the PSoC4 and the Pioneer.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Jack, ..oh, sorry, Captain Jack!

"When I select one of the example programs, Creator asks for a folder location. "

Yes. Before building your project you should fill in the right folder-name which contains the files for Bootloader project .

When you go to the installation folder for Cypress on your PC (something like C:\Programs\Cypress) you will find a folder named CY8CKIT-049-42xx\1.0\Firmware\SCB_Bootloader and there are the projects and the result-files you were searching for

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really Capt Jack..... Mark Grass. One year Mardi Gras costume was Jack Sparrow and I kind of liked it.  Loaded a profile pic, but it doesn't show yet.  Call me what you like.

The Pioneer kit came today.  Managed to get something flashed on to the Pioneer board.  Making progress.

The compiler didn't reject "PWM_Start;"  which should have been PWM_Start();

I did go back and look at docs and some of the videos.   The PSOC 4  boards are suppose to be able to be programmed via PSoC Creator.  Not sure what the problem is, but the $4 board was designed to be programmed from creator.

Don't have any real questions at the moment, but they will come.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The maple mini boards are $4 from China and the PSoC 4 boards are the same, but you get a REAL DEBUGGER! I'd really want that debugger! On top of it, you get all those programmable components!

0 Likes