1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 4:03 AM by user_444739275

I2C  programming ?

user_444739275

Hello ,

I need help to understand I2C programming for psoc 4. I don't have enough knowledge about I2C communication. I looked some project sample But Its not clear for me

how to write basic sample code for  I2C communication. ?

1.start I2C

2.               Writes data over I2C

3.stop I2C

4. start I2C

5.               Reads data from I2C

• 1. Re: I2C  programming ?
          user_1377889

You will need a second device that will function as I2C slave. Have you got one? So first you will have to decide who is I2C-master and who is I2C-slave.

Only the master can read and write to/from the slave. There are master/slave examples which you should understand first.

Electrically, the two I2C-lines clock and data need pullup resistors for the interface to function properly.

Bob

• 2. Re: I2C  programming ?
            user_14586677

Although this video is for PSOC 1 the basic principles the same -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCwiJcVDl8c

Also search youtube for I2C, there are other videos there as well.

In Creator there are examples, on Creator start page link "Find Example projects"

Regards, Dana.

• 3. Re: I2C  programming ?
              user_444739275

Hello

actully I want to display  data to LCD via i2c communication. 

I need to develope algorithms.  what I have to Do ?

1.  start  I2C

2.  LCD_Start()   

2.   send data to LCD

3. LCD_DisplayOn()

4. LCD _PrintString()

5. LCD_Stop()

6.  Stop I2c 

I am trying to make program on psoc creator 3.0.  In my next post I will try to write compelete program

• 4. Re: I2C  programming ?
                user_1377889

No need to stop the I2C, let it run as long as there is power applied.

Give us a link to the LCD datasheet with I2C interface that you want to connect to your PSoC board.

Which board are you using? Give us Cypress part no. or link.

Bob

• 5. Re: I2C  programming ?
                  user_14586677

The basic protocol is a start/stop -

Protocol

Communication via I2C is more complex than with a UART or SPI solution. The signalling must adhere to a certain protocol for the devices on the bus to recognize it as valid I2C communications. Fortunately, most devices take care of all the fiddly details for you, allowing you to concentrate on the data you wish to exchange.

Basics

Standard 7-bit address transfer message.

Messages are broken up into two types of frame: an address frame, where the master indicates the slave to which the message is being sent, and one or more data frames, which are 8-bit data messages passed from master to slave or vice versa. Data is placed on the SDA line after SCL goes low, and is sampled after the SCL line goes high. The time between clock edge and data read/write is defined by the devices on the bus and will vary from chip to chip.

Start Condition

To initiate the address frame, the master device leaves SCL high and pulls SDA low. This puts all slave devices on notice that a transmission is about to start. If two master devices wish to take ownership of the bus at one time, whichever device pulls SDA low first wins the race and gains control of the bus. It is possible to issue repeated starts, initiating a new communication sequence without relinquishing control of the bus to other masters; we’ll talk about that later.

Address Frame

The address frame is always first in any new communication sequence. For a 7-bit address, the address is clocked out most significant bit (MSB) first, followed by a R/W bit indicating whether this is a read (1) or write (0) operation.

The 9th bit of the frame is the NACK/ACK bit. This is the case for all frames (data or address). Once the first 8 bits of the frame are sent, the receiving device is given control over SDA. If the receiving device does not pull the SDA line low before the 9th clock pulse, it can be inferred that the receiving device either did not receive the data or did not know how to parse the message. In that case, the exchange halts, and it’s up to the master of the system to decide how to proceed.

Data Frames

After the address frame has been sent, data can begin being transmitted. The master will simply continue generating clock pulses at a regular interval, and the data will be placed on SDA by either the master or the slave, depending on whether the R/W bit indicated a read or write operation. The number of data frames is arbitrary, and most slave devices will auto-increment the internal register, meaning that subsequent reads or writes will come from the next register in line.

Stop condition

Once all the data frames have been sent, the master will generate a stop condition. Stop conditions are defined by a 0->1 (low to high) transition on SDA after a 0->1 transition on SCL, with SCL remaining high. During normal data writing operation, the value on SDA should not change when SCL is high, to avoid false stop conditions.

Regards, Dana.

• 6. Re: I2C  programming ?
                    user_14586677

If your LCD is 44780 compatible controller just use Character LCD. It connects

via 4 pins for data, 3 pins for control.

If the LCD has a I2C interface, then select Character LCD with I2C interface and

place an I2C master component.

Regards, Dana.

• 7. Re: I2C  programming ?
                      user_444739275

Hello

I am using Jhd 16 2A LCD. I am attaching project without Program

• 8. Re: I2C  programming ?
                        user_1377889

Your selected LCD Jhd 16 2A uses an 8-bit wide databus and some control-signals. There is no component to directly connect the LCD to your PSoC, so you will have to program everything yourself which is not an easy job.

What is your I2C interface for? Do you want to build an LCD-module with an I2C interface? What will be the Master??

Bob

• 9. Re: I2C  programming ?
                          user_14586677

Your Jhd 16 2A has a 44780 compatible controller in it, so

use Character LCD for the module. It does not have an I2C

interface. It takes 4 bits + 3 control lines to connect to PSOC.

In its component datasheet are the instructions (APIs) to

control it.

The above componnet uses one contiguous port to connect. If you

need to spread across multiple ports the connections see Kees

component. www.cypress.com/

Regards, Dana.

• 10. Re: I2C  programming ?
                            user_242978793

Vead:  I sent you a working program that writes to a character LCD a few days ago.  LCD_Arduino.bundel01. this program is working and does not need an I2C interface.  Why have you not used this program and converted it to the Cy8CKIT-049-4200 that you have?  When I researched the data sheet for your display I am not sure that it will work with a 44780 type display but you should try it anyway. It it works fine if it fails then get a 44780 compatable display and you will be in business with a working display!!

Bobgoar

• 11. Re: I2C  programming ?
                              user_444739275

Hello

I Have done Projects based on LCD.  LCD Display is not Problem. I want to use I2C communication. that's why I am trying to interface LCD with I2C 

Look at following project sample. I did small change.   I placed I2C component. 

1. start I2C

2 stop I2C

3. send

4 receive

how to send data on LCD  via I2C communication ?

• 12. Re: I2C  programming ?
                                user_242978793

Get an example I2C program from the example programs in Psoc 4 M page and then transfer the I2C data from the example to your program.  You can not use the current display on I2C just the data you receive from the I2C device.  here is the address http://www.cypress.com/?rID=108008. or this is a good manual for all Psoc types and how to use I2C http://www.cypress.com/?docID=52704. There is a good example in 100 projects in 100 days http://www.element14.com/community/thread/25071/l/psoc-4-pioneer-kit-community-project035-uart-i2c-and-spi-joystick-example But you need a RTC chip to make this app work.  If you want to use the I2C to talk to an LCD you need to replace your LCD with another one or use one of these

i2c / SPI character LCD backpack you feed in I2C signal on 2 wires  and it provides the drive signals for the LCD.  You can find thes backpacks on the internet at various vendors and the are about $10.00 US.

• 13. Re: I2C  programming ?
                                  user_14586677

Any data you write to the display can also be written out

over the I2C link. The I2C does not have a clue if it is sending

LCD data or swamp monster counts, data is data.

The I2C slave receiving the data has to be addressed by the

master and then data is sent to it. Examples of this are used in

several of these projects -

PSOC 4 element14.com

S No

Date

Project Title

01-May-2013

Simple Blinking LED

02-May-2013

CapSense Slider Example

03-May-2013

PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit Annotation Library

06-May-2013

USB-UART utility

07-May-2013

USB-I2C Utility

08-May-2013

Danger Shield with Light Sensor Control

09-May-2013

Danger Shield with 7-segment display

10-May-2013

Danger Shield Buzzer of Doom

13-May-2013

Graphics LCD Display

14-May-2013

LCD - Rotating Cube Demo

15-May-2013

GLCD Paddle Game

16-May-2013

Pioneer Board Oscilloscope

17-May-2013

CapSense Button & LED Control with Bridge Control Panel

20-May-2013

What was the value? - LED Memory Example

21-May-2013

CapSense Proximity Detection

22-May-2013

Proximity Theremin

23-May-2013

2-Channel OScope with GraphicsLCD

24-May-2013

'Catch the Shells' Game with ColorLCD Shield

28-May-2013

LED Memory! Part Deux. Just Deux it!

29-May-2013

Starter Designs

30-May-2013

Fractional Frequency Synthesizer

31-May-2013

“Kill The Ghost” Game

03-Jun-2013

tinyprintf Example

04-Jun-2013

XBee Router Loopback Example

05-Jun-2013

XBee Direct IO

06-Jun-2013

XBee API RxTx Example

07-Jun-2013

XBee RGB CapSense Control

10-Jun-2013

“WiFi? Why Not!” Arduino WiFi Shield Example

11-Jun-2013

Bluetooth Home Automation System

12-Jun-2013

Bluetooth with GLCD

13-Jun-2013

Ethernet Shield

14-Jun-2013

More Relay!

17-Jun-2013

Sweet Music Everywhere! MIDI Shield

18-Jun-2013

Resistive Touch Example

19-Jun-2013

UART, I2C, and SPI Joystick Example

20-Jun-2013

What? I can use the PSoC 5LP too?

21-Jun-2013

PSoC With Friends! Word Scramble Game

24-Jun-2013

Ultrasonic Distance Measurement

25-Jun-2013

Two PWMs for the price of one

26-Jun-2013

Pioneer PnP Sensors

27-Jun-2013

Thermistor Example

28-Jun-2013

Hangman Game

01-Jul-2013

Rise of the Machines (Rolling Robot)

02-Jul-2013

Run Away Run Away! (Proximity Robot)

03-Jul-2013

Stepper Motor Example

05-Jul-2013

“Paint The Night” Accelerometer Example

08-Jul-2013

Obstacle Avoider Robot

09-Jul-2013

Walk The Line! Robot Example

11-Jul-2013

Android Device Controlled Robot

12-Jul-2013

SD Card Example

S No

Date

Project Title

15-Jul-2013

Music Player

16-Jul-2013

Strike A Pose! Digital Camera

17-Jul-2013

PSoC Eye

18-Jul-2013

Custom Component 4x4 Keypad

19-Jul-2013

Parallel to Serial UDB Component

22-Jul-2013

Accelerometer Level

23-Jul-2013

Digital Audio From A Single Pin

24-Jul-2013

An Introduction to Processing

25-Jul-2013

But Wait There’s More! Single PWM with 3 Outputs

26-Jul-2013

PSoC 4 Mini-Billboard

29-Jul-2013

Nokia 5110 LCD Interface

30-Jul-2013

Ready…Set…GO! PSoC Stopwatch

31-Jul-2013

Some Like it Hot! PSoC Thermostat

01-Aug-2013

Workspace Organization using PSoC Theromostat

02-Aug-2013

New to PSoC or the Pioneer Kit? START HERE!

05-Aug-2013

LED Blinky Revisited

06-Aug-2013

PSoC 4 Getting Started Lab 1 (LED Blinky)

07-Aug-2013

PSoC 4 Getting Started Lab 2 (PWM LED)

08-Aug-2013

PSoC 4 Getting Started Lab 3 (CapSense UART)

09-Aug-2013

PSoC 4 Getting Started Lab 4 (ADC)

12-Aug-2013

Get Your Motor Runnin’!

13-Aug-2013

TFT Touchscreen Shield

14-Aug-2013

TFT Touchscreen Tic-Tac-Toe Game

15-Aug-2013

PSoC Creator Training 110

16-Aug-2013

PSoC Creator Training 111                                          

19-Aug-2013

PSoC Creator Training 112

20-Aug-2013

PSoC Creator Training 113

21-Aug-2013

PSoC Creator Training 210

22-Aug-2013

PSoC Creator Training 211

23-Aug-2013

PSoC Creator Training 212/213/214

26-Aug-2013

NFC/RFID Shield

27-Aug-2013

RFID Reader and Writer Project #2

28-Aug-2013

Raspberry Pi Integration

29-Aug-2013

State Machines in PSoC 4

30-Aug-2013

UART Bootloader in PSoC 4

03-Sep-2013

GPS Algorithm

04-Sep-2013

Gas Sensor Example

05-Sep-2013

Simulation of Gas Sensor Example

06-Sep-2013

GPS Example

09-Sep-2013

Comparator Example

10-Sep-2013

Infrared Remote Control

11-Sep-2013

Serial Communications Examples

12-Sep-2013

4 Channel Multiplexed Comparator

13-Sep-2013

Opamp Dynamic Gain

16-Sep-2013

Hibernate and Stop Power Modes

17-Sep-2013

P4 Light Sensor Project Design

18-Sep-2013

Rice Cooker

19-Sep-2013

Thermal Printer

20-Sep-2013

I2C Pass Though 'Smart Wire'

23-Sep-2013

PSoC 4 Time Square Billboard

• 14. Re: I2C  programming ?
                                    user_14586677

As long as you mapped the LCD pins to the correct port

pin ordering you are OK. Rename the PSOC port pins to

correspond to the LCD pin name, makes it easy to keep

track of.

Also you have to connect LCD power and ground. And connect contrast pin on LCD to a pot.

Nominally set it to Vdd / 2 then adjust for best display appearance.

1 2 3 Previous Next