1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 10:15 AM by ndutton

Need Clarification on some ACKme modules

raghu1991

Hi,

I have some questions on the Wi-Fi modules provided by ACKme networks. I need to find out which one suits for us.

1. Are AMW004-E02 and AMW004-E03 (Mackerel) Eval boards compatible for development with Broadcom's WICED SDK ? If so, then what is the difference between these boards and AMW004-E01 (Snapper) ?

2. AMW004-E03 (Mackerel) has all pins (40) from module taken out while AMW004-E02 has only 20 pins and AMW004-E01 has only 34 pins taken out. Why is this ? Its better for me if all pins are taken out in Eval board.

3. Is AMW004-A01 module compatible with Arduino ?

Thanks in Advance.

• 1. Re: Need Clarification on some ACKme modules
          ndutton

raghu1991,

1. Are AMW004-E02 and AMW004-E03 (Mackerel) Eval boards compatible for development with Broadcom's WICED SDK ? If so, then what is the difference between these boards and AMW004-E01 (Snapper) ?

>>>>>> This page covers alot of what you are looking for (https://ack.me/Wi_Fi_Technology), but in summary.

The Snapper is for people designing with WICED. It has the JTAG and power monitoring circuits for those wanting to invest the time into a ground up solution/

The Mackerel is for people looking to design with WiConnect which sits on top of WICED as a simple to use front end. Mackerel therefore is optimized from a hardware point of view. The difference between the E02 and E03 is simply form factor, through hole versus smd.

2. AMW004-E03 (Mackerel) has all pins (40) from module taken out while AMW004-E02 has only 20 pins and AMW004-E01 has only 34 pins taken out. Why is this ? Its better for me if all pins are taken out in Eval board.

>>>>>> Starting with the E03 versus E02; as mentioned above, its a form factor issue throug-hole versus SMD. The E02 uses a form factor often used by 802.15.4 users - that form factor simply does not have the pins available that the SMD can offer. On a side note: RF performance is much better in the SMD footprint and its lower cost.

On the Snapper platform there is a different pin count as developers of WICED have other options to those using WiConnect. Schematics of the boards are available in the docs and resources section of teh ACKme website https://ack.me

3. Is AMW004-A01 module compatible with Arduino ?

>>>>>> They are all compatible, BUT a better platform to use is the AMW006-A02 as it is form factor compatible also. the AMW006-A02 is also featured on the mbed site.

Zentri