The communication problem is caused due to following to check with:
- A defective parallel cable or USB cable.
- A defective socket module that does not correspond to the selected device.
- A bad contact between the socket module and the programmer.
- A wrong parallel port settings if the parallel port is used. If you are using parallel port, check your parallel port is set to ECP or EPP via Bios (Unless changed, it should already be in this setting as you've already used the programmer using the same computer).
- USB Driver not binded properly or not binded at all. Check in the Device Manager and Update Driver.
- Bent device pins causing bad contact between the device leads and the socket pins or the socket lid not firmly closed.
- Make sure you have not opened two copies of the software.
- Put your programmer to "TYPE" right before selecting the device, this is needed when you work with the programmer for the first time else you might encounter another Driver Format Error.
Please check this and then try the steps mentioned below:
If the "communication error" happens at any time in between doing these steps, contact Technical Support by creating a case online.
1. Turn the programmer off.
2. Restart the computer and log in as an administrator (when working with Windows2000 / XP Operating Systems).
3. Turn the programmer back on and watch the LCD display on the programmer. After some self-test phase, the programmer displays the part name that was last used with the check sum of the latest used buffer. "Main Menu" program is then displayed with two horizontal arrows.
4. Place the correct socket adapter that corresponds to the device you are interested in programming. Place the device into the socket.
5. Launch the CY3672 software. Make sure you have downloaded the latest version from our website.
6. Double click on the device name from the supported device list.
7. Browse to the location where the JEDEC configuration file is stored and download it to the buffer.
8. Program the device by clicking on the "hand" icon in the tool bar of the CY3672 programmer software.