Program continuously breaks at while(1) even though there is no breakpoint

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having issues with PSoC Designer 5.2 where I have a while(1) loop and when I execute Debug -> Go, PSoC continuously breaks at while(1), even though there is no breakpoint.  I've attached my code and here is the snippit where the issue occurs:

void main(void){

// M8C_EnableGInt ; // Uncomment this line to enable Global Interrupts

Configure_SPI();        /* Configure SPI */

Configure_TLC5970();    /* Configure TLC5970 */

while(1) {

Red();

Delay_ms(32);

Green();

Delay_ms(32);

}

}

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

In some cases the ICE can loose track on the M8C which leads to strange behaviour like unwanted breaks and/or disconnecting.

As far as I remember them, I can give you a few items you can check:

- make sure your VCC power is stable and use 100nf bypass caps on VCC/GND near the PSoC.

- watch out for stack usage. If your stack grows too high, this may cause debugging isues.

- Minimize GND-loop currents as much as you can. Keep in mind that the GND of your project is connected to the GND of your PC

- There might be some bad flex-cables out there, contact Technical Support to see if they can help you on this.

- If you write your own SPC calls rather than using the User Modules (like EEprom writes / reset etc.) these can lead to debugging issues too.

- I experienced that swapping the ICE itself somtimes leads to different debugging behaviour.

This said, I hope Cypress will re-implement the "Invalid Memory Reference" message, to give some idea what is happening rather than just disconnecting or halting.

Regards,

Rolf

0 Likes
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored

Hi,

In some cases the ICE can loose track on the M8C which leads to strange behaviour like unwanted breaks and/or disconnecting.

As far as I remember them, I can give you a few items you can check:

- make sure your VCC power is stable and use 100nf bypass caps on VCC/GND near the PSoC.

- watch out for stack usage. If your stack grows too high, this may cause debugging isues.

- Minimize GND-loop currents as much as you can. Keep in mind that the GND of your project is connected to the GND of your PC

- There might be some bad flex-cables out there, contact Technical Support to see if they can help you on this.

- If you write your own SPC calls rather than using the User Modules (like EEprom writes / reset etc.) these can lead to debugging issues too.

- I experienced that swapping the ICE itself somtimes leads to different debugging behaviour.

This said, I hope Cypress will re-implement the "Invalid Memory Reference" message, to give some idea what is happening rather than just disconnecting or halting.

Regards,

Rolf

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This may be irrelevant, but you have a delay(), is it interrupt dependent ?

If so you have interrupts disabled.

I have seen ICE Cube not behaving when code size approaches limits of FLASH,

~ 2 K or less from end of FLASH, in fact I have a design I cannot debug anymore

with ICE CUBE, code size is 31.5K in a 32,768 sized part.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a better description of my setup.  I'm using the ICE and have it connected via ethernet to a CY3664-EXT development kit.  I'm then taking three outputs from this board P0[0], P0[1], and P0[2] and connected them to another LED controller board that is getting its own power.  The ICE is providing power to the CY3664.  I put a scope probe on the RJ45 connector of the CY3664 board and it looks like it is a very stable 5v.  Putting a decoupling cap on the CY3664 didn't help the cause.  When I look at the RAM/FLASH and the Trace it doesn't appear that I'm filling up the memory.  I am new to PSoC so can you guide me through the steps to ensure that this isn't occuring.  

I'm not using any interrupts.  The delays are nothing more than simple loops:

void Delay_ms(int x){

int y = 0;

int z = 0;

while ( y < x ) {

while ( z < 62 ) {   // This is is 1ms

z++;

y++;

}

}

}

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Doesn'tt this -

void Delay_ms(int x){

int y = 0;

int z = 0;

while ( y < x ) {

while ( z < 62 ) { // This is is 1ms

z++;

y++;

}

}

}

Want to be this -

void Delay_ms(int x){

int y = 0;

int z = 0;

while ( y < x ) {

while ( z < 62 ) { // This is is 1ms

z++;

}

y++;

}

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dana, your correct.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because of all the odd things that were occuring I finally rebooted my PC and now my program runs continuously like it should.  Gotta love Windows.

- Garrett

0 Likes