Good book for beginners.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good book/tutorial on PSoC C programming for beginners? When I say beginners  I mean people who have never dealt with hardware before. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

0 Likes
15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I don't think that you will find such thing. I am a beginner in PSoC too and I have spent a lot of time searching for some info, the best I found however was on the Cypress web cite. The C programming is in plain C with some C++ syntax, so there is nothing special. Then you should take a look in the datasheets of every single component you use for the API and more detailed description. I think that you could get some training from Cypress or their partners. 

Regards,

Stoyan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at the book My First 5 PSoC Designs by Robert Ashby?  I know it's PSoC 3 (insted of PSoC 5) but at the beginner level, they are almost the exact same.

You can download a free softcopy of it here: www.cypress.com/?rID=43123

-Bobby

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello bobby ,

the book u were suggesting is not free i'm a student and new to this psoc 5 desigining.. can u suggest any other links where i can get some info

thanks

olk

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Cypress site has some excellent  "learning" resources, you just have to look for them carefully! If you follow along with the video projects, they are a great help for newcomers. They are all available via 'Cypress University'.

Also, the whitepapers are an excellent resource. One of the DMA whitepapers answered every single question I had about using the DMA with TDs and so on - much better than the straight datasheet or family datasheet.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of whitepapers, and you have to search the videos for the correct PSoC solution (otherwise you get annoying references to "PSoC 3 or PSoC 5" and "PSoC 3 and PSoC 5 devices" every time they mention the chip type!)

One of the trainers is also unaware of some of the technical details, reading range dashes as minus signs or straight dashes and so on, which is a bit distracting, but otherwise the videos are very detailed and helpful.

I hope this helps anyone looking here!

PCPete

0 Likes
mattl_01
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

I ran across this while looking for something else.  I get quite a few requests like this so I did a blog post which assembled some of the recommendations I've gotten over the years

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=93244

Thanks,

--Matt

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This I fopund useful, attached.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the best way to learn PSoC is to test with the example project provided.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new to PSoC and need some guide ness from where I should start.

0 Likes
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi Katrina,

as already mentioned, there are almost no such books and even more rarely for PSoC. For my trainees, I use the bottom-up approach: begin with small(tm) projects and/or tasks. This will ensure that the task itself is not too complicated, and the trainees get into first touch with C, port hardware, etc. For example, the first session is about some switches and LEDs, so it's no rocket science. It begins with simple reading the switches and output their state to the LEDs and finishes with a switch configurable moving light.

Then the tasks are getting higher levels, e.g. switch and LED matrixes, controlling a LCD, etc.

I think this is the best way to rise the knowledge of both hardware and programming language.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Katrina,
Hi Suma
Hi Ashish

Everything starts with an Idea 😉
In addition to all the hints given above I only can advice to take the idea you have to build some thing.
Being a beginner myself I have learned to love PSoCs and PSoC Creator. Even though my first project is a quite complex thing. I have segregated it down to smaller, less complex items. Starting from there, with the help of the examples Cypress is providing it was possible to piece things together. Don't be afraid to start and don't hesitate to ask whenever you feel for it.

All the Best
Frank

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Attached is MIT lecture on PSoC5. Introduction to PSoC.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also recommend using the IDE and looking through some of the example projects. I usually find those to be really useful when I'm working with a new component.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.. everybody... I have a problem... I used the PSoC 5LP but with the Serial Port my PSoC send's trash to my PC... My code haven't mistakes and all compile... I have the question What is the problem with my device... and how I solve this problem...

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum. Without your project it's just a guess: mismatching baud rates.

Which board are you using? A CY8CKIT-059 ? A -001??

Can you please post your complete project so that we all can have a look at all of your settings. To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes
FrGi_297391
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Just a hint look at your settings from baudrate, data bits, parity, stop bits and flow control.

They should match on both sides.

In the UART component and in hyperterminal or other software on your pc.

Grtzz. Frank

0 Likes