2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 5:58 AM by user_78878863

Unexpected o/p resulted from timer ISR's

content.librarian

Hi,

My requirement is to output data in microseconds, and I am using many timer interrupts to achieve it in my code. The result is unexpected jitters in the o/p. It's definately not a good approach to have implementation inside ISR's, however i cannot think of anything else to achieve this timing. Any suggestions ??

Note : The max tolerance allowed in the system is 2us. (Simple function execution take 1us)

HW : PSOC5LP, Creator 3.0

Screenshot : 5 timers are being used, Timer_Period_0 works fine, but Timer_Period_1 has varying intervals of 496, 504, 496, 504. I am not able to understand this behavior. Any help will be highly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Unexpected o/p resulted from timer ISR's
          user_14586677

Can you post your project or at least describe functionality of

timers and what ISR is doing  in a little more depth ?

“File”                                                             Creator

“Create Workspace Bundle”

Regards, Dana.

• 2. Re: Unexpected o/p resulted from timer ISR's
            user_78878863

Assuming a core clock of 80MHz, 1µs granularity / accuracy means just 80 clock cycles. Thats not much. Probably you want to use a hardware-based solution.

The jitter you see might stem from the fact that the second timer ISR has a lower priority than the first, so it can only run when the first one isn't.

Maybe you should explain a little bit more what you want to achieve.