How to sample a microphone with best signal to noise ratio?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to preamplify and sample a microphone signal, but I get a lot of noise.

The microphone gives a maximum of about 3mV of signal amplitude. So at the moment I use a single inverting PGA with gain 49 and try to use lowest possible range +/- 256mV of the 16-bit Sigma Delta ADC omitting it's input buffer. The signal to noise ratio of this setup seems to be only about 6 bits.

What is the best method using the internal amplifiers?

Many thanks!

Christof

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

cebersp,

Can you please let us know how you were able to arrive at the figure of 6-bits for signal to noise ratio?

Are you using a condenser mic for the project?

Regards,

dasg

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also interested in connecting a microphone to a PSoC5. Is there a cookbook recipe for this task?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should try to send the output of your PGA to a pin and see if the noise is from the PGA or your input. I would prefer to use the op-amp if lower noise is needed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best gains are provided in the ADC itself. There is the buffer that can also provide you the gain.

With buffer gain set to 8 and ADC range set to provide a gain of 16 you can achieve an effective gain of 128.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

what bias are you using before the PGA? What DC bias does the mic output have?

Thanks.

0 Likes
NidhinM_71
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored Welcome!

Here is the microphone circuit

Design the values of R_1,R_2 and C_1 based on mic specifications and Vdd value. You may try connecting another capacitor across R_2 to reduce noise or to fine tune the response.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the ADC is best utilized in its digital config maybe making that resistor network with 3 resistors and gettting a differential input might help. Just a thought.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the ADC is best utilized in its differential config maybe making that resistor network with 3 resistors and gettting a differential input might help. Just a thought.

0 Likes