DMA transfer to SPI

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I am new to PSoc and so to this forum as well. I want to establish a DMA transfer (13bit data) to SPI.   

Source : SRAM uint16 Array[10] = {};   

DMA - drq is level triggered by FIFO not full interrupt from SPIM   

SPIM : configured to shift  LSB first, Data - 13 bits, mode - 0   

ISSUE : first 8 bits of data are transmitted correctly, and rest are all messed up.I am able to work it out with 8 bit array, but it somehow doesn't work with 16bits. Can someone here help me out on this. Any help is appreciated.   

code snippet is attached below :   

Status = 0;
DMA_RSU_0_Chan = DMA_RSU_0_DmaInitialize(DMA_RSU_0_BYTES_PER_BURST, DMA_RSU_0_REQUEST_PER_BURST, HI16(DMA_RSU_0_SRC_BASE), HI16(DMA_RSU_0_DST_BASE));
DMA_RSU_0_TD[0] = CyDmaTdAllocate();
DMA_RSU_0_TD[1] = CyDmaTdAllocate();
CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_RSU_0_TD[0],2, DMA_RSU_0_TD[1], 0);
CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_RSU_0_TD[1], 1, DMA_RSU_0_TD[0],0);
CyDmaTdSetAddress(DMA_RSU_0_TD[0], LO16((uint32)&Array[0]), LO16((uint32)SPIM_RSU_0_TXDATA_PTR));
CyDmaTdSetAddress(DMA_RSU_0_TD[1], LO16((uint32)&Status), LO16((uint32)SPIM_RSU_0_TX_STATUS_MASK_PTR));
CyDmaChSetInitialTd(DMA_RSU_0_Chan, DMA_RSU_0_TD[0]);
CyDmaChEnable(DMA_RSU_0_Chan, 1);

PS: I have read all the documents/discussions related to PSoC, and SPIM but I am still struggling to work it out. I must be missing something here. Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
4 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

There are 2 example projects with DelSig over SPIM, 16 bits, that may be

useful. On Creator start page "File", "Example Project" -

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Blasted paste not working, see attachment.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi danaaknight, Thanks for posting a reply.

I forgot to mention earlier on, that i was able to achieve this via writing to individual SPI tx register as in the case of the example suggested by you.

I want to support two SPI blocks transmitting large chunks of 16 bit data simultaneously. Thus i switched to DMA approach. But somehow it doesn't work out.

Correct me, if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks again

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello guys,

I went through the same problem: I was able to work with SPI 16 bits by using the C functions for writing in the TX buffer but was not able to work with DMA moving bytes to the 16 bits FIFO. It's interesting that DMA with SPI 8 bits works fine, but after making a few changes to do a 16 bit communication, the project doesn't work. One can make a 16 bit SPI communication with DMA using SPI 8 bit and transmitting the 2 bytes that form the word. I don't think this is an elegant solution, so I insisted on trying to discover what is wrong with the DMA + SPI 16 bits. After some time of work, I found a tiny modification that made my project with DMA + SPI 16 bit work.

When configuring the DMA transaction descriptor (in the CyDmaTdSetConfiguration() function),  we have to increment the destination address (TD_INC_DST_ADR), which is the TX fifo (SPIM_TXDATA_PTR).

My project is attached and, for practical reasons, here follows the code of my DMA configuration (PS: the variable msg (source for the DMA) is a uint16 variable):

void DMA_TX_Configure(void)
{
    /* Defines for DMA_TX */
    #define DMA_TX_BYTES_PER_BURST 2
    #define DMA_TX_REQUEST_PER_BURST 1
    #define DMA_TX_SRC_BASE (CYDEV_SRAM_BASE)
    #define DMA_TX_DST_BASE (CYDEV_PERIPH_BASE)

/* Variable declarations for DMA_TX */
    /* Move these variable declarations to the top of the function */
    uint8 DMA_TX_Chan;
    uint8 DMA_TX_TD[1];

/* DMA Configuration for DMA_TX */
    DMA_TX_Chan = DMA_TX_DmaInitialize(DMA_TX_BYTES_PER_BURST, DMA_TX_REQUEST_PER_BURST, 
        HI16(DMA_TX_SRC_BASE), HI16(DMA_TX_DST_BASE));

DMA_TX_TD[0] = CyDmaTdAllocate();

CyDmaTdSetConfiguration(DMA_TX_TD[0], 2, DMA_TX_TD[0], DMA_TX__TD_TERMOUT_EN | TD_INC_DST_ADR);

CyDmaTdSetAddress(DMA_TX_TD[0], LO16((uint32)(&msg)), LO16((uint32)SPIM_TXDATA_PTR));

CyDmaChSetInitialTd(DMA_TX_Chan, DMA_TX_TD[0]);

CyDmaChEnable(DMA_TX_Chan, 1);
}

Best regards,

Paulo Aparecido Amaral Júnior

0 Likes