2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2017 12:38 AM by madhu.r_2602576

Configuring and Controlling CY8C9560A with Atmel baord SAMD21 using I2C.

madhu.r_2602576

Hi ,

I have a board module with cy8c9560a with two LEDs connected to GPIO PORT 0. I am trying to configure them from atmel board using I2C. Can you please tell me the baic steps to be followed like. 

1. start condition

2. which slave address ?

3. next which register address ? or before this step do i need to configure the pins as output pins

4. . .clock setting ?

I read the data sheet , i'm confused to how to start.

Please give me inputs.

Thanks and regards

R Madhu.

• 1. Re: Configuring and Controlling CY8C9560A with Atmel baord SAMD21 using I2C.
          SampathS_11

Hi Madhu,

To know the slave address for this device, you have to read the Extendable Soft Addressing on page 9 in the datasheet.

Next you have to write to the Port Select Register (18h) with 0 (for GPIO Port0).

Then you have to write the Pin Direction Register (1ch) with the bit numbers which are connected to LEDs as 0 (output) and the rest as 1 (input)

Then you have to write to the Output Port 0 Register (08h) with the values for the LEDs to turn them on or off.

Attach the schematic of your module board, so that I may assist you in getting the slave address.

Sampath

• 2. Re: Configuring and Controlling CY8C9560A with Atmel baord SAMD21 using I2C.
            madhu.r_2602576

Thanks Sampath,

However, now iam able to communicate with the Cypress from my Atmel Controller.

These steps i followed.

Selecting the SLAVE address as 0x21 for IO expander without read/write bit(since my API is taking care of R/W bits).

Next i wrote Register address 0x08 , to select Port 0 , and followed by 0x00 to make all pins Low , to blink the LEDs.

For reading also i taken 0x2e register , the device ID of Cypress 0x60h.

Atmel studio provided the Ready APIs to make my work easier, It is important to understand the APIs design.

Thanks & Regards,

R Madhu.