2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2017 12:38 AM by madhu.r_2602576

Configuring and Controlling CY8C9560A with Atmel baord SAMD21 using I2C.

madhu.r_2602576

Hi ,

I have a board module with cy8c9560a with two LEDs connected to GPIO PORT 0. I am trying to configure them from atmel board using I2C. Can you please tell me the baic steps to be followed like. 

1. start condition

2. which slave address ?

3. next which register address ? or before this step do i need to configure the pins as output pins

4. . .clock setting ?

I read the data sheet , i'm confused to how to start.

Please give me inputs.

Thanks and regards

R Madhu.

• 1. Re: Configuring and Controlling CY8C9560A with Atmel baord SAMD21 using I2C.
          samp

Hi Madhu,

To know the slave address for this device, you have to read the Extendable Soft Addressing on page 9 in the datasheet.

Next you have to write to the Port Select Register (18h) with 0 (for GPIO Port0).

Then you have to write the Pin Direction Register (1ch) with the bit numbers which are connected to LEDs as 0 (output) and the rest as 1 (input)

Then you have to write to the Output Port 0 Register (08h) with the values for the LEDs to turn them on or off.

Attach the schematic of your module board, so that I may assist you in getting the slave address.

Sampath

• 2. Re: Configuring and Controlling CY8C9560A with Atmel baord SAMD21 using I2C.
            madhu.r_2602576

Thanks Sampath,

However, now iam able to communicate with the Cypress from my Atmel Controller.

These steps i followed.

Selecting the SLAVE address as 0x21 for IO expander without read/write bit(since my API is taking care of R/W bits).

Next i wrote Register address 0x08 , to select Port 0 , and followed by 0x00 to make all pins Low , to blink the LEDs.

For reading also i taken 0x2e register , the device ID of Cypress 0x60h.

Atmel studio provided the Ready APIs to make my work easier, It is important to understand the APIs design.

Thanks & Regards,

R Madhu.