PSoC Programmer installer crashes if the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) is not running

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MR_41
Employee
Employee
First like received
        This issue affects Programmer 3.0, 3.05, 3.06, and the "beta 1" version of 3.10.   

The installer crashes if the "Distributed Transaction Coordinator" service is missing from the list of services in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.   

To fix the problem, try following these instructions:   

1) Bring up a Windows Command prompt (Start > Run > cmd.exe).   
2) At the command prompt, run the command:   

msdtc - install   

3) Try installing PSoC Programmer again.   

If it still does not work, please follow these additional steps:   

4) Open the Services GUI (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services)   
5) Select "Distributed Transaction Coordinator", and click Stop.   
5) At the command prompt, run the command:   

msdtc -uninstall   

6) At the command prompt, run the command:   

msdtc - install   

7) Open the Services GUI again, and verify that the services listed below have a status of "Started". If any of them are not started, select them and click Start.   

COM+ Event System   
COM+ System Application   
Distributed Transaction Coordinator   
System Event Notification   

😎 Try installing PSoC Programmer again   

Microsoft has documented the issue at the following link:    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891801    

Modifying your registry is potentially dangerous. The Microsoft Help documentation for the registry editor program says the following - "Although Registry Editor enables you to inspect and modify the registry, normally you do not need to do so, and making incorrect changes can break your system."   
0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Exactly how does it crash?   

I have a mostly-virgin XP box where I'm trying to install PSoC Programmer 3.06. The installation proceeds smoothly inasmuch that it finds the right drivers and stuff. Then the installer crashes: "psocprogrammer needs to close", and wants to send an error report to Microsoft. The same thing happens if I just try to run the PSoC programmer software.   

Is this the same problem, or a different one?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        I tried installing PSoC Programmer 3.10 (not the beta version, the final release) to after it install the PSoC Designer 5 SP6 and crashed too. While it is in the install process it asks me about a rollback and stops without finishing the installation, so I can not test the designer.   
Before this programmer, I had the 3.06 version running properly and now I can not even run this, it tells me that there is a COM error.   

I have tried installing the Programmer in another pc, without any program just the OS, and it goes ok. So maybe it crashes with another installed software.   

Distributed Transaction Coordinator is properly installed and running.   

have you got any information about with which programs does not work?   
0 Likes