3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 12:25 PM by laim.maskey

Missing data with Synchronous Fifo Firmware

laim.maskey

Hi,

I am running the synchronous slave fifo firmware in 16 bit GPIF bus mode. I am using an FPGA to write data to the FX3 and to supply the SLWR signal, PCLK at 20 MHZ and monitor FLAGB to determine if the FX3 is full. The FPGA control/data sequence is as follows :
      If FLAGB is not asserted the FPGA brings SLWR low and sends an incrementing count over the GPIF data lines to the FX3. As soon as FLAGB goes low the FPGA brings SLWR high and stops incrementing the count. Using the Cypress Control Centre I can view the data transferred from the FPGA to the FX3 over IN endpoint 1. Everything  in this transfer seems fine until I cross a 1024 byte boundary where the next packet of 1024 has missed 8 bytes of data. For example if the first 1024 byte packet ended with the count value 1024  instead of seeing the next packet begin with the value 1025 it beings with 1029 - note each count is 2 bytes wide.

I have run the GPIF bus in 32 bit mode and still see the same problem.

Any ideas as to the cause of this?

Thank you,

Sodafarl

• 1. Re: Missing data with Synchronous Fifo Firmware
          anand.srinivasan.asokan

Which version of SDK are you using?

When you say 8 bytes of data missing in the next 1024, is the "next packet" of 1024 bytes? If so, what are the last 8 bytes of this "next packet"?

Regards,

Anand

• 2. Re: Missing data with Synchronous Fifo Firmware
            laim.maskey

Hi,

I am using the Beta2 version of the SDK - which I downloaded last week. The first packet of 1024 transfers correctly. The second packet has lost 8 bytes because the second packet count should start from 1025 but is now 1029. The last 4 counts of this second packet are out by 8 bytes - so instead of the last 4 counts (8 bytes) being 2045, 2046  2047,2048 they are now 2049, 2050, 2051, 2052.

I've looked at the data and control between the FPGA nd the FX3 and it appears that the FLAGB  flag is asserting 8 bytes too late. 

Regards,

Sodafarl

• 3. Re: Missing data with Synchronous Fifo Firmware
              laim.maskey

Hi,

Problem solved regarding missing data. it was a combination of the FX3  fifo full flag latency which is three cycles and my FPGA code having one cycle latency when dealing with the full flag. The FPGA was only seeing the full flag  after  a delay of 4 pclock cyles and at two bytes per pclock transfer ( 16 bit wide bus) this amounted to sending 8 bytes to the fifo when it was already full. See this post for more detail on the flag latency http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=167&rID=53201 

Are there any examples that show how to configure the full flag without this latency?

Regards,

Sodafarl