CY8C21534B - smart sense and UART in the same design

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi
I using the CY8C21534B as I would like to creat the following:
8 cap buttons
1 proximity
8 output to reflect each button (logic)
1 output to reflect proximity result (logic)
1 output to heptic/speaker
UART for serial communication
I thought the CY8C21534B will be excellent for it but then found out that i have only 4 digital blocks.The UART need 2 block and the Smart sense need 3 digital blocks. this means that I cant do it or are dont understand how to do it?

can you help?
any recommendation?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Domo,

You are correct, SmartSense uses 3/4 Digital BLocks and you need 2 more for the UART.

So that configuration is not going to work.

You have a couple of options :

1) With the 21534B, use the CADADC/VC2 version of CapSense, which uses only one digital block.
    That leaves you the two (2) you need for a UART, and one more for PWM8 (Haptics).
    That will get you what you want, with the understanding that CSDADC is not as good
    a CapSense algorithm as SmartSense, but will likely do the job for you.

2) Do you need both UART RX AND TX? If you need only transmit, then you can use the  21534B
    with Smartsense and the TX8 for UART transmit only. You ill be limited to what VC3 can generate
   for baud rates however...

3) Switch to the 20666 part and use USB instead of the UART. The 20666 supports SmartSense and has USB.

4) Switch to the 22X45 or 28X45 parts if you need more resources. Those parts have lots of resources.

best regards,

Tom Moxon
www.moxon.com

www.westmarkco.com

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

The 22x45 and the 28x45 font have Smartsense so the doesnt help.

My project is going to be also in outdoor enviroment were the temp. will change all day so it is inportant to have the smartsense as automatic feature for correction.

does it mean that I need to moce to PSOC 3 family?

do you know if I can use USB for up to 20-50meter distance? need to comunicate between my project to a controller in a distance of 20-50 meter (this is why I choose the UART to use RS485 protocol).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Domo,

Yes, it's good to lay out all your requirements, so people can make better suggestions.

You are correct, the 22x45 and 28x45 only have CSD2X algorithm, and not CapSense.

So yes perhaps PSoC3 is a better solution for you, if you want one package.

Another option would be to use I2C as your interface to CY8C21534B,

and then to use another small PSoC1 (8 pin device) as an I2C <-> RS-485 bridge.

You are correct, if you need to run that distance, then RS-485 is a safe choice,

USB with repeaters might be a problem at that distance...

regards,

Tom Moxon

www.moxon.com

www.westmarkco.com

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This forum needs an edit function like PSoCDesigner forum...

what I mean to say (before hitting post too quickly) was

"You are correct, the 22x45 and 28x45 only have CSD2X algorithm, and not SmartSense."...

😉 Tom

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This forum needs an edit function like PSoCDesigner forum...

what I mean to say (before hitting post too quickly) was

"You are correct, the 22x45 and 28x45 only have CSD2X algorithm, and not SmartSense."...

😉 Tom

0 Likes