4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 10:30 AM by udayan.umapathi

USB with First Touch Starter Kit (CY8CKIT-014)

bill.clark

I'm having touble establishing a UCB communication with the PSoC5 on the starter kit. Some background, I have already:

• Downloaded Cypress Suite USB 3.4.6
      •     
      • Read http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2233&rID=45003 and connect to r22/r23 as instructed (and thereby voided my warranty ;^)
      •     
      • Built the USB firmware in the USB suite (USBFS_Bulk_Wraparound-000) for the PSoC5 and programmed the First Touch hardware.
      •    

When I plug my jerry-rigged USB device into my PC, Windows informs that  "One of the USB devives attached to this computer has malfunctioned." I was hoping for a simple "not recognized" but got a "malfunctioned" (!).

Damn the torpedoes full steam ahead, I have modified CYUSB.inf multitple different ways in multiple different places. I've placed it in .../Driver/bin/wxp/x86 and /x64 since I am on Win7. The driver declines to load.

Looking thru device manager, I find an unknown USB device with a matching Device Class GUID but no VID/PID when I was expecting 0x04B4/0x8051. I think the enumeration process failed pretty badly. I don't blame the driver for not loading.

I attached a scope to D+/D- and found pretty reasonable look behavior. D+ is pulled high and D- is pulled low (I believe, identifying it as USB-FS). I see a number of transaction flit by on the scope. The signals appear differntial and at rational voltage levels (0V/3.3V). The pulse widths in the transactions are consistent with 12MHz operation (integer mulitples of 83nsec).

I cannot identify a fault in the hardware or firmware and yet can't attach the USB device....help?

-bill

P.S. Who thought the best (and only) way to display information from the First Touch Kit was "the wave"? My arm is tired damn it.