Embedded FX2LP as Programmer

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

If I embed a CY768013A (FX2LP) into my PSoC5 based system purely as an integrated debugger for programming and debugging the PSoC5 (same as on the first touch kits) then presumably the FX2LP device needs some firmware of its own. How do obtain the required firmware, and how do I programm this chip? Do I need to add a header for SWD and use something like the miniprog3 or can a brand new FX2LP be programmed via it's USB interface from scratch? Or have I missed something, and the FX2 comes already suitable and programmed as an integrated debugger/programmer?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

FX2LP by default does not come with a firmware. It can programmed through USB or I2C EEPROM.

0 Likes
VivekK_11
Employee
Employee
Welcome! First solution authored 10 replies posted

Kenny,

I am discussing about this with our software team that developed the FX2LP debugger/Programmer. While I am pretty sure that you have all documents it takes to develop your own PSoC 3 Programmer, I cannot say the same thing about developing a Debugger. I will update the thread once I have information on this.

Regards,

Vivek

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this ever resolved? I am looking to implement the same functionality in my design.

0 Likes
crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Yes, it is doable. 

From what I understand (and I have yet to try this) the FX2 does not have the firmware in it on the boards, but it is downloaded when it is first connected to the PC with Programer on it (well, perhaps it does come from the factory programmed, but it can be updated easily, and often is via USB).

0 Likes
crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
0 Likes