3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 5:27 AM by ron.eggler

UART in PSoC5 (newbie)

ron.eggler

Hi There,

I'm just starting evaluation of PSoC5 with the Development Kit CY8CKIT-050.

I opened the ADC_DAC sample application that displays an 8bit pot position on the LCD. I now would like to communicate this value in binary over RS232 to a terminal application. So I grabbed a UART and dropped it on my sheet, I configured baudrate, stopbit and parity and added UART_Start(); and then UART_PutString("Hello World!\r\n"); after that. However, when I reset my dev kit, nothing appears in the terminal.

On the schematic design, the rx and tx pins were automatically wired up to Rx_1 and Tx_1 which I assume are the Rx and Tx that are routed to the 9pin d-sub connector .

Any hints would be appreciated, Thank you!

Ron

• 1. Re: UART in PSoC5 (newbie)
          kartik.mankad

Hey,

with the 050 kit,you'll need to add wires from your assigned TX,RX pins to the 4 pin "RX-TX-CTS-RTS" pads/headers.

Hope this helps :-)

• 2. Re: UART in PSoC5 (newbie)
            gautam.das.g

Hi Ron,

As kmmankad has suggested, it is necessary to connect externally with wires, the Rx_1 and Tx_1 pins to the Rx and Tx headers respectively on the left side of the prototype area.

The pins which are mapped to Rx_1 and Tx_1 can be configured in the "Pins" tab of the .cydwr file to select appropriate port pins according to your requirement . Configure the Hyperterminal such that the baud rate, data bits, parity and flow control is same as that of the UART in PSoC.

• 3. Re: UART in PSoC5 (newbie)
              ron.eggler

Heh, okay, that would also explain why I couldnt' find anything on the schematics...

I soldere two wires on there and it works just fine now. Thanks for the hint! I thought it might be wired up already and I just can't find it...

Thanks a lot guys!