SDK version, incorrect descriptors, no USB3 on Win7

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today experienced application engineers are out of reach, no matter if you deal with Cypress, ADI or Linear. Hope this community can help...

I want to verify the USB3 hardware implemtation (signal integrity etc) on my first prototype board with FX3, to be able to order more prototype boards.

So far I have not been able to "force any example code to run in USB3 only". If I boot example code as UVC or MassStorage it will only run in USB2, and Win7-host tells "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a super-speed USB 3.0 port". I have tried three different PCs with 64-bit Win7. When I compare example code from SDK 1.2 with SDK 1.1 I see differences in descriptor setup.

I have a strong feeling that the issue is related to descriptor setup.

Is the problem caused by Microsoft or Cypress? Have Cypress verified dev.kit+SW on real PC HW with Win7 or only on "professional USB certifying test systems"?

Here and now I need a SYSTEM that works without developing device drivers for windows. 

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes. We have tested the SDK examples on FX3 DVK and they work in USB3.0 mode only.

Are you using the FX3 DVK from Cypress or you made a custom board using FX3. Please let me know.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tested on both the development kit from Cypress and our own designed board. I have tested on three different PCs (with Renesas, Intel and NEC host controllers). On the the machine with Renesas host I have made tests with Win7 64-bit, and XP 64-bit. We have verified the USB-cables by connecting a PointGrey USB3 camera and  a USB3 HDD. I have used USB3.0 CV (from USB.org) but the problem here is not a currupt descriptor.

My guess is that the FX3 doesn't dectect a proper SS receiver termination. I have no measurement quipment, so I can not "see the physical layer" (Why no SS ennumeration - are there any link training, polling etc on the bus etc, where does the state machine halt)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this (not enumerating in SuperSpeed) happening sometimes or it is the condition always.

It is hard to identify the root cause with out having any protocol analyzer to analize the data on the physical bus.

Regards,

sai krishna.

0 Likes