11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 3:16 AM by nipam.bhavsar Branched to a new discussion.

Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module

nipam.bhavsar

Hello,

We are developing a product using with an SN8200 module and we have SN8200 EVK+ kit for development. We also have SN820X EVB Wi-Fi discovery module.We used to develop firmware on Wiced-IDE-2.4.1.

Now my query is related to loading firmware into SN8200 module.

SN8200 EVK+ board is easily programmed via Wiced IDE. But when we flash Wi-Fi discovery module with same binary using STLink utility, its not getting booted. Even we also tried flashing our own HW, still we are facing same issue.

We have tried to load program in different directions:

1) Using ST-Link programmer, program is loaded successfully but that SN8200 module doesn't start from application.

2) Same problem occurs when using USB-UART cable loading firmware through UART.

We have tried following targets.

1) teksun.wifi_module-SN8200x

2) teksun.wifi_module-SN8200x-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO

3) teksun.wifi_module-SN8200x-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO OTA=waf_bootloader-NoOS-NoNS SFLASH=app-dct-ota

After compiling, binary size is 327256 bytes(Flash) and 35028 bytes(RAM).

So questions are:

1) What is the target string to make binary for flashing board.

2) How can we load firmware directly using Wiced IDE on our SN8200 module?

Any help in this case is appreciated.

Thanks,

Nipam Bhavsar

• 1. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
          nipam.bhavsar

Hello,

Is there any update regarding above issue?

Does anyone facing this problem?

Thanks,

Nipam

• 2. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module

You can use JTAG debugger Olimex ARM-USB-TINY-H to program directly the Wi-Fi discovery.

(cost 70$)

Just assign the wiced to work with it

From Wiced SDK, pleas use the following make target for Olimex J-TAG programmer:

JTAG=Olimex_ARM-USB-TINY-H

For scan app it would be like this:

snip.scan-SN8200x-debug JTAG=Olimex_ARM-USB-TINY-H download run

• 3. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
              nipam.bhavsar

Hello Michanisani,

Thanks for your response.

We purchased ST-link JTAG debugger/Programmer. Is it possible to program using ST-link programmer same way as Olimex JTAG programmer?

We can successfully download "SN8200-SNIC-UART-02-33081.bin" file that is available in WiFi Discovery Software package using ST-Link programmer and USB-UART cable also. So is it possible to program through ST-link programmer using Wiced IDE?

Please provide some steps to program Wiced IDE binary file through USB-UART cable if possible.

Thanks,

Nipam

• 4. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
                mayurk

Hi nipam.bhavsar,

Did you able to solve the issue?

I am also having the same issue while flashing through UART.

Please help.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
                  nipam.bhavsar

Hi Mayurk,

I didn't solve the issue of loading a firmware through UART. But I can load my firmware using SN8200 EVK+ kit and Wiced IDE to another SN8200 module. By pulling JTAG connections out from SN8200 EVK+ kit, I can load a firmware into other SN8200 module over JTAG through Wiced IDE.

Thanks,

Nipam

• 6. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
                    mayurk

I have SN8205EVK and JTAG connectors are soldered to the on board module also, doesnt it cause any problems? or you removed the 0 ohm resistors which connect JTAG lines to module?

Or you just removed the VDD_IO connector?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
                      nipam.bhavsar

Hi Mayurk,

Yes, I removed 0 ohm resistors. I can load my firmware on both, evolution board and separate SN8200 module. Please find below steps for that.

1) Remove 0 ohm resistors R30,R31,R32 and R33. Connect those FTDI signals to the corresponding JTAG_TCK, TDI, TDO, TMS pins of the new SN820x module.

2) Connect USB_JTAG_TRST_L(P41) to the Corresponding pin of the SN820x.

3) Connect nReset (p47) to nReset of the new SN820x.

I follow these steps for my SN8200x EVK+ kit. Please do changes as per your evolution board.

I hope this will be useful for you and solve your problem.

Thanks,

Nipam

• 8. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
                        mayurk

Tried that,

Getting following error

Downloading Bootloader ...

"**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****"

Downloading DCT ...

"**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****"

Downloading Application ...

Resetting target

tools/makefiles/standard_platform_targets.mk:102: recipe for target 'run' failed

make.exe[1]: *** [run] Error 1

Makefile:185: recipe for target 'main_app' failed

make: *** [main_app] Error 2

• 9. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
                          nipam.bhavsar

Hi mayurk,

Make sure that Boot pin of the module, that you want to load a firmware, is Ground when you are loading your firmware using EVM board.

Please let me know if you still face same problem.

Thanks,

Nipam

• 10. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
                            mayurk

I did make boot pin to ground through 100k resistor as shown in schematics of EVK.All of my efforts are in vain.

But, I bought Olimex ARM-USB-TINY-H debugger and now I am able to flash the code without errors. But, After I flash snip.scan I am not getting any output on UART. is there any pin that should be interfaced and I should know of? Also I made slow_clk to GND. is it okay?

I am connecting TX and RX pins (pin 32 and 33). I tried shorting CTS and RTS on module but no luck, I used prolific USB to UART module.

Also, is voltage level an issue? as per EVK schematics they have provided 3.3V to IO and 3.6V to WiFi chip and I am providing 3.3V to both.

Thank you.

Cordially,

Mayur Kulkarni.

• 11. Re: Problem when loading Firmware into our SN8200 module
                              nipam.bhavsar

Hi Mayur,

Good to hear that you can successfully load your firmware to your board.

I am using FT232 USB-UART module for uart communication. I connected 3 wires only to my SN8200 module: TX, RX and GND. Also add "GLOBAL_DEFINES := WICED_DISABLE_STDIO" in ".mk" file if you are using UART function "wiced_uart_transmit_bytes" function and if you are using "WPRINT_APP_INFO()" function then no need to add line in ".mk" file. 115200 baud rate is used for "WPRINT_APP_INFO()" function.

Thanks,

Nipam