Is there a macro to name a custom GATT service built with PRIMARY_SERVICE_UUID128

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiTo_1583836
Level 5
Level 5
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

I am trying to give a name to a custom GATT service that I built with PRIMARY_SERVICE_UUID128() macro. I can't find the macro that would do that. Currently my custom service shows up as "unknown service" on my iPhone BLE application.

If someone tried that before I would be happy to hear some suggestions!

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
asridharan
Employee
Employee
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

I don't understand the question, could you please elaborate? If you mean why your custom service does not show up on the iOS device with a descriptive name, then that is probably because the service is not a SIG defined service and the app perhaps recognizes only BT SIG defined services. The name of the service is never stored in the peripheral, only the service UUID, and the iOS app maps this service UUID to the service name from the assigned numbers table maintained by the BT SIG.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
asridharan
Employee
Employee
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

I don't understand the question, could you please elaborate? If you mean why your custom service does not show up on the iOS device with a descriptive name, then that is probably because the service is not a SIG defined service and the app perhaps recognizes only BT SIG defined services. The name of the service is never stored in the peripheral, only the service UUID, and the iOS app maps this service UUID to the service name from the assigned numbers table maintained by the BT SIG.

Ok I just want to make sure there is no way to transmit the name (string) of a custom service over the air.

In that case I will create a custom service in the GATT, I will put a mapping table on the peer device (iPhone, etc...) that will map the UUID (received) and the Name of the custom service.

I hope it is the right way to do it, sounds like the BT protocol does not provide much options when it comes to custom profile.

0 Likes