GPIF DMA Flags and IN endpoints

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have the GPIF controller configured in 32bit synchronous master mode hooked up to an FPGA. I have exported several DMA flags one of them being Thread_0_DMA_Ready, which I use with an IN endpoint. The output DMA flag going to the FPGA is mostly at 0 even if I send multiple IN packets to the FX3. Experimenting with the setup, I found that even when the DMA flag is 0, I can successfully capture and transfer data to the PC (via IN_DATA). My state machine knows to stop capturing data based on the internal GPIF DMA_RDY_TH0 conditional flag, and does not use LD_DATA_COUNT or CMP_DATA_COUNT. As soon as GPIF state machine sees that the internal DMA_RDY_TH0 is 0, it switches to an idle state and this is the only time I see the output DMA flag Thread_0_DMA_Ready going to 1. The output DMA flag stays high for roughly 80 cycles (at 100MHz) then goes down low. Is this behavior expected? 

Basically, I would like to know what does Thread_0_DMA_Ready indicate when used with an IN endpoint? It seems to me as if though Thread_0_DMA_Ready does not simply mimic the value of the internal conditional falg DMA_RDY_TH0. 

Should I look I be thinking of Thread_0_DMA_Ready from the FX3 USB's perspective? As in, the IN endpoint thread is "ready" when it has data available to send to the USB controller?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This is my understanding of your data path based on your description.

FPGA acting as master -> FX3 Slave FIFO interface -> PC

You are using Thread_0_DMA_Ready as a flag to indicate the status of thread 0.

I assume that you are using Socket 0 on the GPIF II side as producer socket.

When FPGA is writing data to producer socket then Thread_0_DMA_Ready only changes when the buffer allocated to that socket is filled.

So it will let you know when you need to stop writing data to GPIF II interface.

Thanks,

Sai Krishna.

0 Likes