7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 2:26 PM by user_264321

New PSOC3/5 Board

user_264321

I just found out that schmartboard.com, has released a new PSOC development board priced at $25 (does not includes a PSOC) and if ordered before april 7th using a coupon it will come with a free PSOC5 with a bootloader on it.

What makes this board unique is that it can accomodate diferent PSOC3 or PSOC5 devices (and I suspect also PSOC4s) that can be easily soldered using their EZ technology.

The board also includes a nice bost converter, but unlike the freesoc it does not include a programmer/debuger so you will still need a miniprog or a bootloader.

What I dont like is tha it is too wide. I would have liked if they used a blade style board.

What do you guys think about it?

• 1. Re: New PSOC3/5 Board
          dakn_263916

A balde layout also useful.

For dip style you can get proto blocks that are also wider so more available

female pin connection holes exposed.

Regards, Dana.

• 2. Re: New PSOC3/5 Board
            helic_263931

The board looks quite nice, and with $25 it's rather inexpensive. But shipping is really expensive - to get this to Germany I would pay additional $37 :(

• 3. Re: New PSOC3/5 Board
              user_264321

Just checked, $38.50 for USPS shipping to my country. yikesss.

If I recall correctly, It used to be like $10 when I bought some QFP breakout boards from them.

• 4. Re: New PSOC3/5 Board
                userc_43568

Schmartboard sent me a sample already and I've ordered a PSoC 3 to try in it. The board is very clean and well made. I'm not sure about the logic in the pin out arrangement, but I expect all to be revealed.  And I'm about to buy a couple of the specials from their site -- the unit with a PSoC5LP for $25 bucks. (Note that on first attempt the free upgrade didn't work yet.  But the offer is good through Sunday.)

Us developers now have a terrific tradeoff between the Schmartboard offering and the FREESOC product.  It's great to have the choice.  With the FREESOC you get the unit with a chip and bootloader installed. With the Schmartboard you get to pick your chip -- any of the 68L QFN parts including PSoC3 and, we presume, PSoC 4.  So all of a sudden it's low cost prototyping heaven.

Anybody who is skittish about hand soldering on the Schmartboard needn't be worried.  Soldering 68 pins is a little tedious, but requires only a good quality soldering iron. I use a trusty rusty Hakko 928 with an S tip, but there are good, less expensive solutions.

My only problem now is that I have a queue of about 15 PSoC projects I want to work...  So many IO pins... so little time.

Here's a link to the schematic of the new Schmartboard: 
                http://www.schmartboard.com/schmartboard_pd_710-0008-01_sch.pdf 

• 5. Re: New PSOC3/5 Board
                  user_264321

the key to solder schmartboards is to use good quality flux. The chip aligns itself with the traces, apply some flux and all that is needed is to pass a tinned tip over the traces and it is done. quite easy you can't fail.

• 6. Re: New PSOC3/5 Board
                    dakn_263916

When soldering SMT packages like PSOC do not put ANY force

on pins/solder, as pins will mnove off pad. Get some junk parts off

SMT off ebay, and try soldering to some boards. You may be able to

get reject boards from a PCB house to practice on.

There are some youtube videos using solder paste/flux combo, and a

toaster oven, for reflow, bare as well as partially populated boards.

Regards, Dana.

• 7. Re: New PSOC3/5 Board
                      user_264321

@Dana

Something like that actually will never happen on this PSOC Schmartboard

take a look at this video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKahRk9-uB4