Changing "Friendly Name" in Device manager on Win 10

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnYa_2483746
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hello,

Im using FX3 CYUSB3Kit-003 on Windows 10, which is the SuperSpeed Explorer Kit. When adding J4 jumper to the board in the device manager it shows up as "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device". Which is fine. After i program the board with my development firmware it uses the Cypress VID and PID from the StreamerExample and thats how it shows up in the device manager "Cypress FX3 USB StreamerExample Device". I am using the driver installed in the following path C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\driver\bin. 

What i want is when i program it with my development firmware i would like the friendly name to be changed to a custom name for the product. When i tried to edit the .inf files in the above driver\bin folder and placed my own string, Windows 10 would fail to install that driver because that new string was not part of the Driver Signature. So my question is this is there a way i can change the friendly name without having to get a certificate and having to submit the generic Cypress driver to Microsoft again for resigning?

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you guess, If you change anything in the .inf, you are required to get Microsoft certification. 

If you can disable the driver signature verification in Windows, then probably you can install the modified driver and test it.  You can refer to the following article or search more: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-do-i-disable-dri...

0 Likes