2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 4:28 AM by jamin121_2488341

Intergrating a LIDAR (VL53L0X) over I2C

jamin121_2488341

Hi Forum

As part of my project I would like to be able to read the output of a LIDAR sensor on a serial monitor over the I2C bus, using a PSoC 5LP. (Linked below)

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/group3/b2/1e/33/77/c6/92/47/6b/DM00279086/files/DM00279086.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00279086.pdf (LIDAR datasheet)

I found a post that took the ardunio libraries and converted them to PSoC 4 libraries. (Linked below)

https://www.hackster.io/vlad-radoiu/measuring-distance-with-vl53l0x-tof-sensor-1080f1

I have the serial monitor part working however I cannot get the sensor to initiate. I had an printf after the initialization of each component (Timer and I2C block) showing the place where the program hangs. (picture attached)

Any help on whether this is a bug in my code or a hardware issue would be greatly appreciated.

Below is attached my workspace archive (Minimal) and an image of what is displayed in PuTTy

Thanks

• 1. Re: Intergrating a LIDAR (VL53L0X) over I2C
          user_1377889

Welcome in the forum.

Byte I2C interface is quite simple: After setting up the component and starting it you use

I2C_MasterSendStart(DeviceAddress,I2C_WRITE_XFER_MODE);    // Initialize a transaction for writing
              I2C_MasterWriteByte(Register);                // Indicate which register you want to write to
              I2C_MasterWriteByte(Value);                // Write to register
              I2C_MasterSendStop();                    // End of transaction

When you want to read from a device you use (example for reading two bytes

I2C_MasterSendStart(DeviceAddress,I2C_WRITE_XFER_MODE);    // Initialize a transaction for writing
              I2C_MasterWrite(Register);                // Indicate which register you want to write to
              I2C_MasterSendRestart(DeviceAddress,I2C_READ_XFER_MODE);
              I2C_MasterReadByte(I2C_ACK_DATA);            // Read from register
              I2C_MasterReadByte(I2C_NAK_DATA);            // Read from register, last byte is NAKed
              I2C_MasterSendStop();                    // End of transaction

Not too difficult. Keep in mind that most of the APIs (except those for reading a byte) return a status byte which, when non-zero indicate an error condition.

The high-level APIs must be used in this way:

Writing to slave Count bytes
          I2C_MasterWriteBuf(SlaveAddress,DataPtr,Count,I2C_MODE_COMPLETE_XFER);

Reading from Slave sending register/command byte first:
          I2C_MasterWriteBuf(SlaveAddress,&RegAddress,1,I2C_MODE_NO_STOP);
          I2C_MasterReadBuf(SlaveAddress,DataPtr,Count,I2C_MODE_REPEAT_START);

Bob

• 2. Re: Intergrating a LIDAR (VL53L0X) over I2C
            jamin121_2488341

Bob

Thanks for the quick reply, will try out what you suggested 

Ben