PSOC 5 power monitor Issue

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

I have a design with the PSOC 5 , that is used to monitor the board power supply voltage levels.

we have about 10 power supplies ,  9 of them are reading the exact voltage but i have an issue with the 3.3V reading that is connected to the PSOC using a voltage divider resistor network ( 50K + 50K ) .

when i measure the voltage on the PSOC using a fluke i read ~1.65V which is OK since 1.65*2=3.3V . but the SOC reports a higher voltage , around 3.45V.

I have connected an osciloscope to the analog input and saw that above the nominal 1.65V , at a frequency of about 500hz there is a small repetitive ramp in the voltage that appear only after the voltage divider and is not seen  at the power supply output. this ramp explains why the psoc reports a higher voltage after averaging

to make sure that the interference is related to the SOC , ive compiled a version disconnecting this sense signal from the power monitor and indeed the interference disappeared.

My theory is that the ramp i saw is caused because the internal A/D is muxed between my other inputs and the parazitic capacitance "Remembers" the old voltage and then samples a higher voltage ( since my sense line is connected through 50K resistor , the current is not sufficient to make the transition transparent ) .

I am trying to find a fix without changing the voltage devider to lower resistive values , i was thinking to make the sample rate much slower so the voltage can be stable before the sampling is made but i cant find this option on the configuration GUI .

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You may configure the ADC to use an soc input which is connected to a timer. This will help you to set the conversion rate.

I would check for unwanted connections on the board.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You may configure the ADC to use an soc input which is connected to a timer. This will help you to set the conversion rate.

I would check for unwanted connections on the board.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply,

I am using the "Power Monitor" block 

(http://www.cypress.com/file/135181/download)

i didn't saw an option to add a timer input to the block

thanks

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

You can also add an OpAmp buffer before the power monitor block, then thr ADC input should not affect the signal anymore.

You can also route the EOC output to a pin and check the actual sample rate.

Last but not least, the sample rate is determined by the clock thats fed into toe power monitor clock, so you can vary that.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hli,

IT WORKED !

Ive added an OpAmp before the power monitor block and now it works perfectly.

Thank you very much!

0 Likes