1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2013 4:22 AM by gaya

FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail

sung-jae.kim

Now, I use EZ-USB FX3 SDK (EX-USB FX3 CYUSB3KIT-001 DEVELOPMENT KIT)

I compiled example firmwares, and upload the firmares using Control Center.

it does work on USB 2.0 line, but it is not recognized the fx3 device on USB 3.0 line

however it does work for default bootload firmware for fx3 device on USB 3.0 line

i want to develop a firmware for fx3 on USB 3.0 line, please let me know what's problem

Thanks..

• 1. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail
          rama.sai.krishna.vakkantula

Could you please explain the behavior of your DVK when it is connected to USB 3.0 host.

I am assuming that the DVK is enumerating as bootloader device and then you downloaded the .img file of some example into the FX3's RAM. What is happening in "Devica Manager" after doing the above step.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

• 2. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail
            sung-jae.kim

Hi,

thank you for your reply

There is no device about DVK on device manager, it seems connecting cable only..

so i cannot update driver... etc.. 

thanks.. 

• 3. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail

Kim,

So you are able to download the firmware into the FX3's RAM.

FX3 DVK is not enumerating after you download the firmware.

Are you getting the "Programming Succeeded" message on the left bottom corner of USB Control Center?

Regards,

sai krishna.

• 4. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail
                sung-jae.kim

Hi,,

Right, "Programming Succeeded" on left-bottom of the Control Center

thanks..

• 5. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail

Hi Kim,

Do one thing. Create a tech support case so that one of our engineer will have a remote debugging session to find out what is going wrong with the DVK that you are using.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

• 6. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail
                    ilya.krol

Hi everybody.

I have almost the same problem with FX3 and USB 3.0, have there been any solution found?

• 7. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail
                      ilya.krol

Dear RSKV,

Could you please tell if there is any outcome for the described problem? I am experiencing exactly the same problem with FX3, and I guess it wouldn't make any sense to create a separate topic on that...

Thanks!!

Ilya

• 8. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail

Hi Ilya,

Could you please test your board with the attached image file.

I have disabled the USB3.0 connection in the attached firmware. If your board has some problem with the USB3.0 connection then it should be enumerating with the attached firmware over USB2.0 lines.

If it enumerates with the attached firmware then I think you can send that DVK back to Cypress for failure analysis.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

• 9. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail

Please remove the .txt extension once you download it.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

• 10. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail
                            ben.lee

We're having the same problem that the DVK failed to enumerate as a usb3.0 device, although the pc recognized it as a usb3.0 and popup the "..faster.. if connect" msg as attached.

Ans we used the "USBBulkLoopAuto.img.txt", download from previous post, to program the brd. we got the same result BcdUSB="02 10" by the ControlCenter.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail

Hi Ben,

Are you seeing that behavior always or sometimes?

Are you seeing that behavior with all the host controllers that you tested or is that happening only with a specific host controller.

The firmware file that I attached to the above post can enumerate only in high speed.

You can have different PID for USB3.0 and USB2.0 descriptors to check whether the device is enumerating in 3.0 or in 2.0.

Please test with different host controllers, if you have.

Thanks,

Sai Krishna.

• 12. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail
                                ben.lee

Yes, we saw it enumerates it as 2.0 all the time with different host controllers.

So we used the img file that you attached to do the experiments with usb2.0 slot and usb3.0:

With the usb cable connected to usb2.0, the dvk enumerates as "02 10".

With the cable connected to SSusb, we have Win7 i7 pc, the "... could be faster..." poped up and the vdk enumerated as "02 10" as well.

i'm not sure what do you mean different PID for usb2.0 and 3.0?  Please educate me.

Attached please find 2 screen dumps for the tests we did with the attached img. (left: 2.0; right SS3.0)

Thanks for the help.

• 13. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail

what do you mean different PID for usb2.0 and 3.0?

I mean we can identify the device enumeration speed by assigning two different PIDs in the descriptor file as well.

Just to show you an example,

I have assigned 0xF0 for USB 3.0 and 0xF1 for USB 2.0.

If the device enumerates with PID 0xF1 then it is just enumerating in high speed only.

Please let me know if I am not clear to you.

const uint8_t CyFxUSB30DeviceDscr[] __attribute__ ((aligned (32))) =

{

0x12,                           /* Descriptor size */

CY_U3P_USB_DEVICE_DESCR,        /* Device descriptor type */

0x00,0x03,                      /* USB 3.0 */

0x00,                           /* Device class */

0x00,                           /* Device sub-class */

0x00,                           /* Device protocol */

0x09,                           /* Maxpacket size for EP0 : 2^9 */

0xB4,0x04,                      /* Vendor ID */

0xF0,0x00,                      /* Product ID */

0x00,0x00,                      /* Device release number */

0x01,                           /* Manufacture string index */

0x02,                           /* Product string index */

0x00,                           /* Serial number string index */

0x01                            /* Number of configurations */

};

/* Standard device descriptor for USB 2.0 */

const uint8_t CyFxUSB20DeviceDscr[] __attribute__ ((aligned (32))) =

{

0x12,                           /* Descriptor size */

CY_U3P_USB_DEVICE_DESCR,        /* Device descriptor type */

0x10,0x02,                      /* USB 2.10 */

0x00,                           /* Device class */

0x00,                           /* Device sub-class */

0x00,                           /* Device protocol */

0x40,                           /* Maxpacket size for EP0 : 64 bytes */

0xB4,0x04,                      /* Vendor ID */

0xF1,0x00,                      /* Product ID */

0x00,0x00,                      /* Device release number */

0x01,                           /* Manufacture string index */

0x02,                           /* Product string index */

0x00,                           /* Serial number string index */

0x01                            /* Number of configurations */

};

Thanks,

Sai Krishna.

• 14. Re: FX3 USB3.0 Connection Fail
                                    ben.lee

Thanks.  So it looks like the dvk that we used can only do usb2.0?  but we surely like to use it as 3.0 device?  Can we?

1 2 3 Previous Next