Best is to use
File -> Create Workspace Bundle
Even a choice of minimal files includes all of your own sources. You may copy the contents of the archive to a new location and adjust the project- and workspace-names to the new needs and (when required) select a new device.
That did not entirely answer the question. Unless that is the only way to save a work space?
The saving process is confusing. Creator often has greyed out menu items.
Could someone show the actual steps of opening an example and saving it under a different name?
Start by opening an project
Pick Project, click "advannced" at bottom
Choose "Create New Workspace"
PSoC Designer has the cloning process but Creator has not,
I've been do it like this ...
1) Copy and Paste workspace root directory by Windows
2) Change root directory name to new name
3) Open workspace in new directory
4) Click Project name in workspace tab and change it (F2 or "Rename")
5) Same changing on Workspace-name
That's all, New named project had been created
You can keep original project and create new your experimental project.