Peak Detection

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I read the application note regard peak detection on the PSoC (AN60321) and the Peak and Hold method is exactly what I am looking for, only problem is I can't get it to work at a frequency faster then 4 MHz which it says is due to the mixer being used (The LO cannot exceed 4 MHz). I am trying to measure the peak voltage of a pulse that is about 3 microseconds in duration so I get about 12 samples per pulse (3 microseconds/250 nanoseconds).

Is there any way to get around the 4 MHz macimum LO, or is there an altogether better way to detect peaks at higher frequencies?

0 Likes
41 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

What is the latency you are seeking, is it the 12 sample width ?

You can always do a peak detector with fast external OpAmps (2) and fast diodes.

Or use PSOC VDAC and Comparator, its has 110 nS response time at high power,

and use a binary search algorithim on the VDAC (which feeds one side of the comparator)

to determine peak via comparator trip relative to VDAC setting. If comparator not fast enough

use an external comparator, fast ones are cheap.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

One consideration I forgot to mention, VDAC settling time ~ 3 uS, whereas IDAC ~ 200 nS.

Note VDAC settling speced to .1%, but its only 8 bits, so Ts < 3 uS for 8 bits, 1 LSB.

So in short you could use IDAC to feed your comparator as it is not presenting any significant load.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, thinking bigger picture here I need a system that I can adapt to also do a peak detection on pulses that are about 5 nanoseconds in duration. Also these pulses may or may not be periodic depending on the source. It is not important that I detect every pulse, however I need to detect enough so that I don't loose any information such as a change in the peak of a pulse.

I was thinking that I could maybe stretch my pulses so that they are in the milliseconds.

The end goal is to see how capable the PSoC is so if it can be done on the PSoC I need to figure it out using very few to no external components.

Dana, if I understand your VDAC+Comparator method I should increase the VDAC output into the comparator until the comparator changes, signaling that my VDAC output is now larger than my analog input. I think take my previous VDAC value and somewhere in between those two values is my peak?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Here is an appnote http://www.cypress.com/?rID=41001 concerning peak-detection.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bob, that is the app note I mentioned in my original post, and as I said earlier none of those methods are fast enough for my needs.

Dana, what instead of "increasing the VDAC value" I ment something along the lines of your binary search. That is increase the value check the comparator output, either increase it again or decrease it by a smaller amount depending on that value. Is that more correct?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The VDAC comparator method. Assume Vref = Vdd/2.

You start algorithim at VDAC = Vdd/2, check output (cout), if ccout is false then VDAC

is < Vpeak, then output VDAC = 3/4 Vdd, check cout again. If false, output 7/8 Vdd

to VDAC, if true output 5/8 Vdd. You keep halfing the increment applied to VDAC

up or down until it converges. Makes for a fast sort. Its a form of the bublle up bubble

down search algorithim. www.codecodex.com/wiki/Bubble_sort

Yiou mentioned earlier 5 nS in the post, I assume thats 5 uS....

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Ooops, I overlooked the AN-link. Sorry

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it wasn't a typo I ment 5 nanoseconds but I'm not sure if the PSoC is gonna be capable of that sort of speed unless I can stretch the pulse out.

I'm currently trying Dana's method with the IDAC, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The approach I suggested is still challeneged at the uS area, I think it would

require a little ASM. That being said its shifts and adds, no heavy math.

5 nS peak detection, one approach, lots of latency, is to do equivalent time sampling reconstruction.

Like used in scopes with low sample rates but high analog bandwidth. This ap note explains some

of it.

http://www.tek.com/application-note/real-time-versus-equivalent-time-sampling

http://www.co-bw.com/EE__Oscilloscopes/XYXZs_of_Oscilloscopes_Index.pdf

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
    Then the "easy" way out -   

http://www.edn.com/design/analog/4347624/High-speed-peak-detector-uses-ECL-comparator

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is the code I am using:

currIDAC = IDAC_MAX / 2;
    IDAC8_SetValue(currIDAC);

while(1){
            update = 0;
            prevFlag = compFlag;
            compFlag = Status_Reg_Read();

//If threshold is less than the peak
            prevIDAC = currIDAC;

if(compFlag == 1){
                delta *= 2;
                currIDAC += IDAC_MAX/delta;
            }
            else if(compFlag == 0){
                delta *= 2;
                currIDAC -= IDAC_MAX/delta;
            }
            currIDAC += delta;
            IDAC8_SetValue(currIDAC);

LCD_Position(1,0);
        LCD_PrintNumber(currIDAC);
    }

I can see the IDAC increase and decreas as it should, but it doesn't line up with the pulses.

The IDAC increases for about 3.5 uS until it flatlines at its maximum value where it stays for about 450 uS then it decreases for about 4 uS stays low for about 180 uS then repeats

All I get on the output is either 0 or 255

I tried to have a seperate comparator with a fixed threshold that would output high when a pulse was detected and I tried using this as a trigger to update the value of the IDAC based on the value read from the IDAC's comparator but this had no effect.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the project if it helps

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Your code does not look right.

First question, do you have a terminating R on IDAC output ?

Next question is what is amp of input waveform ? You have to scale IDAC and pulse
signal path such that they match at max Vpulse, to maximize dynamic range and
resolution of the solution.

Just in case compiler not "aware" use >> and << vs multiplies/divides.

Lets assume the following

IDAC 0 - 2.04 mA
IDAC R = 600 ohms, therefore full scale = .6 x 2.04 = 1.224 V max pulse amplitude

We start at 1.02 mA = 0x80, 128 dec, half scale, .612 V

Pulse amp is 1.0 V

So first trial is

1) VDAC = .612
2) comp = low, the pulse is higher
3) So we add last VDAC value + 1/4 VDAC range = .612 + .306 = .918
4) comp = low, the pulse is higher
5) So we add last VDAC value + 1/8 VDAC range = .918 + ( 1.224 / 8 ) = .918 + .153 = 1.071

6) comp = high, VDAC > pulse

We know know 1.071 > Vpulse > .918, but we have more resolution than that. Our resolution
is 1.224 / 256 = 4.78125 mV

7) So we take VDAC value at beginning of last test, and add 1/16 to it
😎 comp = .918 + ( 1.224 / 16 ) = .9945
9) comp = low, vpulse > .9945
Work out the same scenario when comp indicates pulse is lower, another switch flag. Its
all part of the same routine. You end when you want to divide (shift) by 512 (9 bits), as
the DAC is only 256 (bits).

Note some numbers are not precise above, I got lazy just using a calc, not integer math.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I missed your project post, just looked at it. Some questions/observations -

1) Looks like IDAC is not terminated in 600 ohms, it outputs I, but comparator needs V. So

terminate it.

2) Cascade of PGAs, I assume what you are doing is level shifting the pulse to be in the CM range of

the comparator ? Here is a technique, attached excle file will help calculate R's needed -

http://electronicdesign.com/article/analog-and-mixed-signal/use-excel-to-calculate-a-d-level-shifter...

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Cascading PGAs.

You have to be careful here as phase margin of a cascade can get you into trouble.

The PGAs are fairly well characterized, but no spice models to verify what you are

doing is OK. Additionally stray C can play havoc with a cascade, even a non cascade.

There are Scope techniques in the time domain that can look at phase margin, if you do not

have a network analyzer. Google this. Just simply looking at step response on a scope, ringing,

that is severly under-damped, will give you an indicatrion device to device will cause you problems

in the design.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Essentially what you are building is a SAR ADC, the algorithm to run it.

Page 11 shows algorithim -

http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/ges/media/pdf/mse_prj_rpts/spring2010/Successive%20Approximation%20Analog%2...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Successive_approximation_ADC

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1080

Another non binary algorithm -

http://www.el.gunma-u.ac.jp/~kobaweb/news/pdf/2011/adc20110909am9hp.pdf

You will need to place a S/H or T/H between the comparator pulse input
and comparator, otherwise algorithim may converge with wrong answer.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Sure enough here is a solution in PSOC 3 for a SAR with LUT and SR.

http://www.eetindia.co.in/STATIC/PDF/201006/EEIOL_2010JUN16_SIG_AN_01.pdf?SOURCES=DOWNLOAD

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

If I go back to your earlier post -

"Well, thinking bigger picture here I need a system that I can adapt to also do a peak detection on
pulses that are about 5 nanoseconds in duration. Also these pulses may or may not be periodic depending
on the source. It is not important that I detect every pulse, however I need to detect enough so that I
don't loose any information such as a change in the peak of a pulse. I was thinking that I could maybe
stretch my pulses so that they are in the milliseconds."

None of the methods suggested, even the equivalent time sampling used in high performance scopes, can
be used due to the aperiodic nature of your signal.

Its brute force time. ECL/GAS due to 5 nS requirement, and a much faster SAR/sampling/OpAmp speed

approach for the 3 uS kind of pulse. Unless you compromise some of the requirements. Pulse stretching

is a possibility, but then you miss a lot of pulses for the 5 nS case.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did already have resistors at the output of my IDAC, my maximum pulse height after the PGAs is about 1.4 volts so I set the resistors so that they would make just over that. I have about 6.5k ohms at the output and with a maxe IDAC output of 255 uA that gets me a maximum voltage of 1.6575 V.

Dana, it seems as though in your walkthrough explanation that you put the comparator on the non-inverting terminal of the comparator such that it outputs high when the IDAC output is higher than the pulse output. Is there any advantage to doing it this way as opposed to the comparator output being high when the IDAC is lower than the pulse?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, using the SAR ADC mentioned I run into that same problem as earlier where the sample and hold doesn't run fast enough to capture the data points I need, and as the signal is aperiodic I can't set up the interval to just get sequential samples from different pulses (I can't find the link explaining that at the moment) but as far as I know I can't use the SAR method due to that sample and hold.

I may be able to relax my needs and settle for something that doesn't catch every pulse, so if there is someway I can capture a signal 5 uS pulse and then completely digitze it with enough resolution to find the peak that would be enough.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The comparator inputs can be swapped, logically you just modify routine to accomidate change of sign.

Another consideration, PGA slew rate, which affects pulse response, is < 1 V/uS, keep that in mind. You

are affecting settling time to get at the pulse amplitude. Ie. PGA SR its a bit marginal.

Lastly its the aperiodic nature of the signal that is the biggest stumbling block regarding the 5 uS

type of pulse. Thats why we use scopes with 100/200 Mhz BW, but have 1 Ghz or better samplers

in them, to capture faithfully short duration one off pulses.

Another alternative is use comp to control a S/H, such that if S/H's value is below pulse comp initiates

a S/H acquire. The comp is fast enough, the S/H slew rate/acquisition OK at 1 uS for a 5.5 V step.

Then you periodically measure the S/H output, and reset S/H with a mux change to select ground as its

input. The S/H would examine every pulse, until you stopped comp update and measured and reset it.

The delsig will perform 384,000 SPS at 8 bits. Thats 2.6 uS. So maybe you would not miss too many pulses

with this approach.

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had previously looked at the Del Sig, but a sample every 2.6uS would only get me 1, maybe 2 samples per pulse which can hardly be considered a measurement.

Couldn't I do a sample and hold and save that value if it is higher than threshold A which determines if what is being seen is a pulse, then continue doing sample and holds and replacing the saved value with any held value that is larger than it. Although it may not be accurate and it could take some time to actually get the peak, I think it should let me get the peak as well as still be able to count my number of pulse occurances should I want to.

Dana, I'm a little confused by your S/H method you mentioned, could you go a little more indepth?

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Something like this, attached.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

So the way this works -

1) Mux feeds Vdd/2 into S/H.

2) Comparator, if it sees pulse is > S/H, forces S/H to sample, until
S/H output exceeds pulse amp + the hysteresis, then comp forces S/H
back to hold mode.

3) You initiate an A/D conversion.

4) You switch mux to other reference, which is ground, and reset the S/H.

I left out a little logic so that when you do this step you force S/H to sample
indepentant of what the comparator is doing. AND/NAND to force S/H into sample.

5) You switch mux back to Vdd/2, go back to step 1).

It might be psosible to automate this all with a LUT, try it.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something like this should work for the logic right?: (attach)

Basically I OR the output of the comparator with a control register bit that I can set to high when I need to reset the S/H

When that control register is high it should override anything coming out of the comparator.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, nevermind that last post that logic won't work. I need to have a way so that when the S/H output is back to 0 it reinitiates the whole sequence.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The only thing I do not like about the approach is need to run A/D in continuous mode

in order to get high conversion rate. If you do single conversion SPS drops by ~ 3/4 to

~ 91,000 SPS.

Continuous mode means you could be converting while S/H is updating.  Not good.

More challenges.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the Start_Convert() and Stop_Convert() not affect the ADC when its in continuous mode?

Also is the speed of the ADC important at that point? Once I need it to convert I'm no longer looking for the peak as it has been found using the S/H + Comparator. Of course this only finds a value close to the peak (hopefully) but Once my comparator has dropped to low I then just need to convert what ever value made it do so.

The sample and hold should be reset after just 1 sample from the ground reference correct?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

From datasheet looks like these functions do work in continuous mode. But makes

me wonder what effect on SPS that has in continuous mode. Eg. does it add any more

latency beyond the time between stop and start ?

voidADC_StartConvert(void)

Description: ForcestheADCtoinitiateaconversion. If inSingleSamplemode,oneconversionis
performedthentheADChalts.If inoneof theotherthreeconversionmodes,theADCruns
continuously.

If theADC_StartConvert()functioniscalledwhiletheconversionisinprogress,thenext
conversionstart isqueuedandanewconversionwill startafterfinishingthecurrent
conversion.If youwant tostartanewconversionwithout waitingforthecurrentconversionto
finish,thenstopthecurrent conversionbycallingADC_StopConvert().Afterstoppingthe
conversion,restarttheconversionbycallingADC_StartConvert().

Parameters: None
ReturnValue: None
SideEffects: None

voidADC_StopConvert(void)

Description: ForcestheADCtostopall conversions.If theADCisinthemiddleof aconversion,theADC
will bereset andnot providearesultforthat partial conversion.

Parameters: None
ReturnValue: None
SideEffects: None

Yes, S/H has to be reset after each measurement.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why doesn't the S/H here just always capture and hold the same value, that is why is its output not always Vdda/2?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about something along the lines of what is in the imaged attached?

In this I'll S/H the amplfied pulse and compare it with another S/H

If the comparator is high, the 1st hold value is larger than the second, then the second S/H will take on the value of the first

In this way I'm storing my max value in the 2nd S/H and when I find something larger I replace it.

I guess the down side to this method is that it would take several pulses to actually be able to determine a peak.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

...image...

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Vdd/2 is nothing more than a forcing function. After a reset, the comparator

tells the S/H to sample, until it reaches the pulse amplitude. So the S/H slews

to the pulse peak, forced by Vdd/2. Vdd/2 is arbitrary, it should be >>

Vpulsemaxever.

I am fooling around using a T/H vs a S/H, eliminates some logic. My design

still crippled, appears to be capturing the - peak of the waveform. My head

is spinning 🙂

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate you taking your time to help me Danna, I feel like we have come a long way since I first posted.

I have managed to get something that works fairly well, but I believe it will only work well with periodic signals. It's basically just a comparator with a VDAC as its inverting input and the signal as its non-inverting input. I then start the VDAC out at 255 (4.080V) then sweep it down until my comparator output goes high, then I sweep up till the output goes low, etc. This has allowed my to capture the peaks of my signal through a generator even while I increase/decrease the amplitude on the run. However, I don't believe this method will be sufficient if I have aperiodic pulses with varying amplitudes.

Another though is that it seems as though the pulses I will be receiving are pretty consistent in shape, that is if I can determine the width of the pulse I should be able to say that at 10% of its width these pulses generally peak. Although its a stretch this method might work as long as I can justify those assumptions.

As far as using the S/H and T/H is there any way to on pulse 1 hold a value at t = 0 then for pulse 2 hold a value at t=1. and so on. I think this would require having a threshold set to detect when the pulse actually starts, then some amount of delay, then a S/H. What do you think about that?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

If I were to do PW I amp the crap out of the incoming signal and feed to

a comparator to give me edges, then just use a free running counter

or timer to measure edge to edge width. You would not need S/H or T/H.

However, if I wanted to measure width at a given threshold I would just use

the comparator with two isr attached to it, one for + edge, one for negative.

Still have a fre running counter, its size / clock set to handle max width, its

resolution then becomes clock / 2n. ISR just reads counter value, and subtract

previous value. Note you have to handle counter rollover issue when doing the

math. Or restart counter at full value, and be sure width sufficient from every

allowing it to roll over.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I took one of my previous methods and changed the sweep to a binary sweep as you mentioned earlier and I can find the peak a lot faster even at low pulse counts. Attached is the top design, and it is pretty simple. Basically after I do the amplification I then send the signal through 2 comparators. One of them does simple pulse detection, this is used more so at low count rates so that I only change the VDAC when I get a pulse. The next comparator is then what actually determines if I find the peak or not. I sweep through the VDAC range using the following code:

if(detection == 1){
            VDAC_val[1] = VDAC_val[0];    //Save the VDAC value so we can compare against it later
            detection = 0;

if(delta == 256){
                peak = VDAC_val[1];
                delta = 2;
            }
            //If the VDAC value is less than the input signal
            if(compFlag == 1){

//If there was a rising edge at the comparator output
                if(was0 == 1){
                    delta = delta<<1;    //Multiply delta by 2^1
                }
                was0 = 0;
                was1 = 1;
                VDAC_val[0] = VDAC_val[1] + VDAC_MAX/delta;
                VDAC8_SetValue(VDAC_val[0]);
                compFlag = 0;

if(VDAC_val[0] == VDAC_MAX)
                    VDAC_val[0] = VDAC_MIN;
            }

//If the VDAC value is greater then the input signal
            else{

//If there was a falling edge at the comparator output
                if(was1 == 1){
                    delta = delta<<1;
                }
                was0 = 1;
                was1 = 0;

VDAC_val[0] = VDAC_val[1] - VDAC_MAX/delta;
                VDAC8_SetValue(VDAC_val[0]);
                if(VDAC_val[0] == VDAC_MIN)
                    VDAC_val[0] = VDAC_MAX;   
            }

//Print the VDAC value whenever it is updated
            LCD_Position(0,0);
            LCD_PrintInt8(VDAC_val[0]);

LCD_Position(0,5);
            LCD_PrintNumber(delta);

}

I may change it so that instead of the sweep starting over, it increases by 1 then decreases by 1 so that it floats around the peak value. Then if while it is doing that the comparator output stops changing I know my peak has changed and I should start over.

Any recommendations on this so far?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Shoot me the project archive, I would love to look at it.

I have a design working and looks like it skips very few pulses, but I am at a remote site

with a low performance scope. I need my 2 Ghz scope (sampler) to get a real idea

if it is working. I find this an interesting problem, in light of the fact we are dealing with

relatively low f signals.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

KK I am actually in the process of making a trough detection as well using the same method. Currently my pulses have about a 1V DC offset even after they come out of a large DC blocking cap o.O but this offset decreases with a higher count rate (due to pulses riding on the tails of their predecessors) so I am trying to eliminate that so I can get a striaight out amplitude of my original input pulse. Once I get that sorted out I'll post my project.

0 Likes