Program stops, then restarts as soon as MiniProg is plugged

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

I'm facing an issue that is quite annoying knowing that I'm trying to program a board that is supposed to stay on the field for months.

After programming my board with the MiniProg, data are collected normally (using an infinite loop) but after a while it stops and I don't know why. I have noticed that after plugging back the MiniProg to my board and computer, the program restarts. I mean, I don't even try to reprogram the board, as soon as I plug back the MP, the program restarts and data are collected again.

Any hint on what is wrong or should I create a case?

Thank you very much. Your answers are always helpful.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you use watchdog timer?

That seems to be issue with a dead loop. Check for cases that would enter an endless loop . Using watchdog would restart the chip, not that you should rely on the WD to do this, you still need to fix that if WD does kick in.

The minipro may reset the chip when inserted.

Check if the values pass to a funtion can be out of range.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Just to be quite sure:

Are you using a MiniProg or a MiniProg3? Connection made with supplied the ribbon-cable??

Are you able to debug? Setting Breakpoints??

What happens if you do not unplug your MiniProg(3)

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Post your schematic, or at least the portion that shows power supply connections

and miniprog connections.

Of course there is always issue of coupling (crosstalk) to pins from some external source

where a input pin is configed as Hi Z and close to other fast signals not of interest. Or

an interface connector that is electrically marginal and sensitive to miniprog presence/absense

from mechanical movement. These are more general signal integrity issues.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, a floating input may also be the problem.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to everybody for their answers and very sorry for the late reply.

Indeed H L, I'm pretty sure it was due to a dead loop. I fixed it and that issue doesn't occur anymore. That was easy! Thanks for pointing it to me.

To answer your questions, I did not use watchdog timer. Bob, I'm using a MiniProg3, connection is made with the supplied ribbon cable.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

glad that your problem is fixed. 

And nice to have people come back to tell us the result.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I replied a little too fast and was not completely accurate.

The program doesn't stop anymore (issue was the dead loop) but it restarts automatically as soon as I plug back the MiniProg3 (which doesn't bother me as I'm about the reprogram anyway).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is normal.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought too. Anyway, the main issue was fixed. 🙂

0 Likes