PSoC Programmer USB Protocol Documentation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good evening, everyone,

Can someone tell me please, is the USB protocol for the various USB programmers (miniprog3, FX2LP, etc.) documented anywhere? i.e. is there a document I can use to develop my own PSoC Programmer-compatible programmers?

AN73054 describes and provides the source code to an PSoC5LP HSSP programmer for PSoC3 and PSoC5LP target devices, but this application note is not for a USB based programmer based on the PSoC5LP; it does not appear that the code provided in this application note can be used to create a programmer which is able to be used by PSoC Programmer to program PSoC3 and PSoC5LP devices.

0 Likes
7 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=38154     Miniprog 3

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2543     PSOC Programming

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are exellent resources, Dana, but I believe they are insufficient.

I am looking for the USB protocol that is spoken between the PSoC Programmer software on the PC and the FX2LP, MiniProg3, PSoC 4 Pioneer, etc.. so that I can implement my own programmer which can communicate with PSoC Programmer in order to flash the devices. Unless I am misreading the documentation you provided, none of them provide the USB interface details. They all describe how to communicate between a programmer and device to be programmed.

Similarly, the HSSP application notes do not explain the specific endpoint configuration and data transfer protocol between the PC and the programmer; they explain the SWD protocol between the programmer and device to be programmed.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

AFAIK this is an internal protocol, and is not documented anywhere. But you can always write your own programmer on the PC side, since it just need to transfer the data to your own programmer (which then in turn uses the public protocol to program the PSoC).

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I think I have heard that Cypress is giving away the protocoll software when you sign an NDA and have good reasons as manufacturing a programmer etc.

Best would be to contact Cypress by creating a "MyCase" (At top of this page "Support&Community"->"Technical Support"->"Create a MyCase")

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I know I can create my own PC side software to talk to my own programmer over any protocol I design. I have opened a case but have not heard back yet.

I've always wondered why companies try to protect this particular kind of IP; there is absolutely nothing in the protocol that can cause harm, and being able to interface to their tools is only win-win for them. Oh well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm guessing it's mainly having anyone build a programmer that won't work properly with psocprogrammer and they having to deal with all the support calls this causes. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's actually a really well-thought out explanation. It hadn't occured to me.

It's still crappy, but it makes sense, especially when viewed through corporate eyes.

0 Likes