IRIG-B demodulation/decoding

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello:

I have no experience with PSoC devices, but suspect this will be a perfect platform for a new project I am working on. I need to demodulate and decode a IRIG-B 12x AM  time code signal.It uses a 1khz carrier. It encodes with a mark to space ratio of 10/3 and uses pulse width coding (10 cycles of the carrier represents an index count interval) 80% duration mark is a reference pulse 50%duration of the mark is a binary 1 and 20% is a binary 0. I wonder if anyone on this forum has used these devices for any thing of the sort . Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,

C. Hermann

0 Likes
2 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the fascinating world of PSoCs!

It does not sound too difficult, there are plenty of counters and timers availlable within a PSoC5 all equipped with a capture function. The ARM cortex m3 is fast enough to handle interrupts with 1kHz frequency.

Counting the pulse-width of a 1 kHz signal can be done mostly in hardware.

To start with I would suggest you to get hands on an evaluation kit as this secure.cypress.com/. It gives you debug-capabilities as setting breakpoints and inspecting variables. Additionally you need the Creator software that you may download (Free, just registration) from the Cypress website here secure.cypress.com/psoccreator/.

Lastly there is a whole bunch of videos showing how to get acquainted to "Thinking PSoC".

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

I have seen HW and SW only solutions on the web to do the decode.

Basic info here               http://www.irigb.com/IRIGB_standard.html

Timing does not look too critical. Peak detection in PSOC simple as well as

period counting. Maybe even a LUT to control most of the activity. On e

complication is possibilitry there is a need for an AGC loop, but there are

many methods to handle that.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes