psoc creator filter example problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

today i was trying to implemend the low pass filter example project given in psoc creator 3.1 on psoc 5 but i got undisered outputs. there was change in frequency as change in frequency of input if input was sine wave and output was also sine wave but when the input was sq wave and triangular wave the o/p wave forms were no where nwar the same. when i/p frequency was increased in pass band the attenuation was increased very steeply. i applied 1.7Vp-p sine wave input to psoc but when frequency was increased to around 400hz the voltage level droped to around 50mv p-p where as cutoff frequency was 6khz. plz tell me how to solve this. and i had one more dought do we have to give input to psoc as digital frequencies or analog frequencies plz reply asap 

0 Likes
6 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Consider posting your project, makes life easier to troubleshoot.

“File”                                                             Creator

“Create Workspace Bundle”

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

its the same example project of filter in psoc creator (lpf cut off freq 6khz)

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

"change in frequency as change in frequency of input if input was sine wave and output was also

sine wave but when the input was sq wave and triangular wave the o/p wave forms were no where

nwar the same."

If you have a LPF and you change the input signal but stay withing the LPF cutoff frequency then

the output sine tracks the input sign in frequency, shifted in time by group delay of filter. Because

the filter inband has a relatively flat frequency response the output signal from VDAC will

also not change in amplitude. as you approach the pole frequency(s) of the filter the output starts

dropping.

If you LPF a square or triangle wave you will filter out some of its harmonics, thus the

waveform becomes a distorted square or tri wave.

As your sine, or for that matter any other input, approaches the cutoff frequency of the

LPF you will see a decline in amplitude. Note this LPF is set up for a G = .5 = 6 db down

in the passband. So for starters if your in band input signal is 1 V pk-pk, it will be .5 V pk-pk

out of VDAC.

Did your input sine drop in amplitude as you raised it to 400 Hz ?

As shown in the example the input to the ADC is an analog signal. Its output is a digital

stream of sample values fed to DFB via DMA.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes as the frequecy increases the amplitude decreases drastically way before cutoff frequency

yes at 400hz the amplitude decreases to around 50mv pk-pk 

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Did your input sine drop in amplitude as you raised it to 400 Hz ?

I should have been more clear, I was referring to your sine generator, is its

output decreasing as you raise frequency of it ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I modified the filter a little -

1) Set sampling rate up to 60 Khz

2) Taps to a binary 64

3) Added WaveDAC8 to gen test waveform

4) Removed bias for A/D + in because WaveDAC8 itself is offset

I seem to get good results.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes