Convert string to number, e.g. float with error handling

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

While receiving UART commands, I need to convert strings to numerical values. For example, string "1.23" would produce float number 1.23 using function 'atof()':

V=atof('1.23…');

Unfortunately, in the case of a typo this function will return a valid number also ("0"), which will be passed to the program. For example:

atof('1.$23…')=0,    ($ is a typo)

Is there any built-in function to check for valid input number?

regards,

odissey1

0 Likes
11 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You are seeing an error return value, so test your input for invalid,

atof() -

Return Value

This function returns the converted floating point number as a double value. If no valid conversion could be performed, it returns zero (0.0).

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

Dana,

I know that atof() returns "0" for NaN. That is a problem, as occasionally I may need to send valid string "0.0" as well, which is valid number. So I can not rely on that criteria. I can custom check  input string byte-by-byte, and apply various rules testing for NaN, but maybe there is EXISTING function for that in C. For example, I found C++ equivalent, which will through an exception, but nothing in C so far.

odissey1

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

A different function you may use is scanf(), but it will stop at the point where an unexpected character is obtained. Quite more promising would be to check the incoming string for legal characters ('0'..'9','.') and act accordingly to the result.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Seems like people having no shortage of issues with scanf, just google that.

Maybe with atof() simply test the raw data on source end and insert a special char/byte

and act accordingly on receipt end raw data before submitting to conversion.

Not elegant, but then neither is C.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

Thank you for feedback. I was looking for such function for some time and was hoping that solution exist. So it is official now. Such function would be useful when firmware settings are manually updated thru UART terminal. 

odissey1

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the other person already stated above, ALWAYS validate and range check your input.  Never trust your input.  scanf() sucks at processing user-typed input, since its very possible that you'll get illegal characters at some point.

1) remove leading and trailing white-space, which includes CR and LF.

2) validate each char in the incoming string against: plus, minus, period, numerics.

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

To check that input string represents  a numeric, use a solution:

#include <ctype.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int isNumeric (const char * s)
{
    if (s == NULL || *s == '\0' || isspace(*s))
      return 0;
    char * p;
    strtod (s, &p);
    return *p == '\0';
} 

Works fine. It obviously doesn't checks the bounds, and string has to be trimmed.

odissey1

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

How to convert uint8 byte array into string in psoc?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum!

That depends on what you expect. You can convert a single byte into two hexadecimal digits or into three decimal digits. There is a sprintf() function or an itoa() macro for conversions.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

As long as its 0-terminated, use a simple type-cast of the pointer. Of, and please open a new thread when asking a new question. Thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob.

0 Likes