About FX3 biggest Code size, and biggest I2C EEPROM?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

FX3 has 512KB system RAM,and it can be used as code and data. so, the biggest application code size is 512KB? If application code size is smaller, the other can used as data?

In datasheet, FX3 can boot from one or more than four 128KB EEPROM which is the 1Mb I2C EEPROM. But I found Atmel , ST or Microchip have 2Mbit I2C  EEPROM, named AT24CM02 or M24M02. Can fx3 use this 2Mbit boot and download code use "Control Center"?

IF the application code if more large, Can I save code and boot form two 2Mbit I2C EEPROM?

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

1) Yes, the max code size can be 512 KB.

2) If the code size is small you can use the rest as data. You can modify this by making chanes to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\common\fx3.ld" file. Here the amount of memory allocated to the code / data is specified. Also, please have a look at cyfxtx.c file present in every FX3 project to change DMA buffer memory allocation / 2nd State Boot loader memory allocation etc.,

3) Yes you can have 2 MBit EEPROM. Even our FX3 SuperSpeed explorer kit uses the M24M02 EEPROM.

For details about the SuperSpeed explorer Kit, please refer http://www.cypress.com/?rID=99916 

4) Yes, you can use 2 such 2 MBit EEPROMs if the image size is bigger. But in most of the cases it will be less than 256 KB.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes